Lowells chasing a debt I'm not sure about

Hi folks.

My father in law has been recieving letters addressed to my husband from Lowells for a debt from Three for £152.89.

We have no knowledge of this debt. We used to be with Three up to August 2012 when we cancelled the account as we moved out of country. We've now moved back and are living in a different county (and by a co-incidence are with Three again) and have never lived at my Father in laws house.

I am going to send a Prov It letter (is that the correct letter?) and obviously want the letters to stop going to FiL as he's getting antsy so will need to say we don't live there. Can we just provide an email address or do we need to give them our new address?

Many thanks
BSCno.87
The only stupid question is an unasked one
Loving life as a Kernow Hippy

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

You really want to send the 'proveit' letter by Royal Mail (not email). (I believe if you were to send the letter by email, then they can refuse to respond due to data protection reasons.) And if you are sending the letter by post then you need to include a return address.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 July 2019 at 4:44PM
    Okie dokie.

Was planning to send letter by post but giving an email address but if we need to give proper address then I'll do that.

Is this all we need to do? Send the letter and wait?
    BSCno.87
  • tigerfeet2006
    Just as a thought this would be over 6 years old, would a Statute Barred letter be better even though I thought the account had been closed?

I guess Ii need to check with the CRA's what information they have on us. Right off to see what Martin says about obtaining reports.
    BSCno.87
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I would not send an SB letter as that implies you have knowledge of the account, when you have said you don't have knowledge of it. If it were me, and I had no knowledge of the account, then I would definitely send the proveit letter. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • tigerfeet2006
    Thanks very much :beer:
    BSCno.87
  • If you’ve never resided at the address would you be under any obligation to even acknowledge the letter??
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you’ve never resided at the address would you be under any obligation to even acknowledge the letter??

It could be that the address was given for the account. It is a coincidence that Three just happen to send a letter to the father of the person who held the account.

I am assuming father and son have different names as if not, why would OP think the letter was for her husband and not FIL?
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • Karonher wrote: »
    It could be that the address was given for the account. It is a coincidence that Three just happen to send a letter to the father of the person who held the account.

I am assuming father and son have different names as if not, why would OP think the letter was for her husband and not FIL?

I think it’s most likely that the father-in-law’s address was provided as the residence for the account as I’m sure it would be breaking all sorts of DPA to initiate contact via a family member to chase a debt.

If not it’s a crazy coincidence at that
  • tigerfeet2006
    We were chatting about it last night and we stayed at my FiLs house for a week when we returned before moving on and we needed to put an address for car insurance and put that one until we moved into a permanent address about a month later.

It definitely is nothing to do with my FIL, he’s ex-military and everything is ship shape and Bristol fashion.
    BSCno.87
  • tigerfeet2006
    How long should I give Lowell’s to reply to the prove it letter.

FIL has just sent another letter on to us. He’s getting decidedly irate at them sending him letters addressed to my husband but won’t put return to sender on it. The letter has a date of 15th July on so I’m guessing it was a crossed post. The letter says we have still not been able to agree repayment on your Three Mobile account. If we do not hear from you , we will proceed with our assessment to decide whether to take legal action. It then goes on to tell me about what legal action means and how a claim form will be issued by the court demanding payment for the outstanding balance. That this will result in court fees, solicitors costs and interest being added.
    They then tell me they would prefer to agree repayment without need for legal action and give me a telephone number and their website address if I prefer to complete a SOA online and set up a repayment plan.

They’ve received and signed for the prove it letter.
    BSCno.87
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills