Comments

• Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 July 2017 at 8:09AM
    Options
    prezzacc wrote: »
    Hi Sillygoose,

Can i ask where you got these doors, im also looking at a similar option. But am finding the opening between living room and conservatory a little small. Not quite 6ft wide.

Thanks
    Hi Prezzac,

We had similar to SillyGoose as the opening was originally a window so not very wide - we started with a simple opening to the conservatory with no door but it was REALLY cold and after putting up with it for a few years fitted really neat 3 panel bifold doors, the door on the right of mine is, effectively, just like a single door with a handle and we just use this day to day. Fold back when warm or we have guests - i'm really pleased with the way it turned out.

Anyway, if you are Manchester, stockport, or North West general then I will pass on the fitter details with pleasure and no hesitation - its a well-established small family firm that gets most of its business from word-of-mouth ,just let me know.
    We were so impressed with the work that we had the windows replaced in the whole house - Friends have since also had bifold to conservatory fitted same as us to replace their sliding 'patio doors' which ended up inside the house of course when conservatory was fitted.
    One of my main concerns was that there would be a 'step' for the runner at the bottom of the bifolds but he was able to fit it level which is brill.

hope this helps
    Let me know.
    Thanks
  • prezzacc
    prezzacc Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Ant,

Thanks for coming on and replying. That sounds like a similar situation. However im afraid the opposite direction and down south!

If you dont me asking roughly how wide is your opening as i really cant seem to find much about "slim" bifold doors. 176cm is my opening. All companies ive tried have only offered me 2 doors. But i want the same setup you mention with the everyday door and then the option to fold back.

Ill find some one day im sure!!
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What do you see as the advantage of three panel bifolds over two doors? When closed there will be more frame so less light will get through, when one is open the opening will be less than 2 feet wide, when it's all open there will be two doors stacked one side so the opening won't be as wide as it is with two doors.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Ant555
    edited 20 July 2017 at 10:13PM
    Options
    prezzacc wrote: »
    Hi Ant,

Thanks for coming on and replying. That sounds like a similar situation. However im afraid the opposite direction and down south!

If you dont me asking roughly how wide is your opening as i really cant seem to find much about "slim" bifold doors. 176cm is my opening. All companies ive tried have only offered me 2 doors. But i want the same setup you mention with the everyday door and then the option to fold back.

Ill find some one day im sure!!

The opening is 176! - probably a standard ex-window size.
    I think made to order but my window fitter took measurements and offered different opening options - left hand door, right hand door, which way the 'fold' goes etc.
    He didn't know if the floor track would be flush until he cut into the laminate flooring and saw what was underneath (by the way we had decent laminate all the way through and it was undamaged.
    I could send pic if you wanted to show any potential fitter.

If I were you, I would look at local window fitters and possibly ask one or two for a quote - my man is primarily a window fitter but also does doors. He got the doors 'made' in Liverpool but I wouldn't think they were the only people to make this type of thing. Friends saw ours and ordered the same from him, their opening was/is wider.
  • Ant555
    edited 20 July 2017 at 10:12PM
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    What do you see as the advantage of three panel bifolds over two doors? When closed there will be more frame so less light will get through, when one is open the opening will be less than 2 feet wide, when it's all open there will be two doors stacked one side so the opening won't be as wide as it is with two doors.

I understand the question and its a good point but the light is really not an issue. With a two door setup, I can;t picture how they would 'fold' - If the right hand door opened into the conservatory then how would the left hand door slide to the left on a track - if it had no track then thats a huge door to have on a hinge.
    The opening door that we use dozens of times every day is pretty much exactly the same width as the French doors leading from conservatory to garden and we only open one of them typically- 2foot-ish.
    For me, the 3 way bifold is absolutely what I wanted and it works for us.
  • Clairabella
    Clairabella Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ant,

We are wanting to replace our door to the conservatory too. Please can I ask, are your doors UPVC or aluminium? Also how wide is the profile between the doors? We are near Burnley so might well be able to use your fitter!
  • Ant555
    edited 28 July 2017 at 10:18AM
    Options
    Hi Ant,

We are wanting to replace our door to the conservatory too. Please can I ask, are your doors UPVC or aluminium? Also how wide is the profile between the doors? We are near Burnley so might well be able to use your fitter!

They are UPVC BiFold doors - I think outside door thermal/security quality or whatever the term is. The opening from wall to wall is 176cm - it used to be a window, previous owners converted normal window to sliding patio doors to garden and when we put the conservatory on the house we just removed the sliding patio doors. Looked great but was flipping cold in winter! I thought the opening would be too small for folding doors but they work well for us. yes, we loose a little bit of the opening on the left when doors folded open but our configuration of furniture means its absolutely no issue for us.

The conservatory is effectively our back door to the garden and recycling bins etc so we are in/out of our right-hand bifold door many times each day - it just opens/closes/locks the same as a normal door would.

Its not these specifically, but this link shows visually what my internal doors look like - apart from the fact they are on the inside between dining room and conservatory and open 'into' my conservatory...
    https://www.flyingdoors.co.uk/shop/upvc-bifold-doors/white-upvc-bifold-doors/6ft-white-upvc-bifold-door-set

Hope this helps.
  • Clairabella
    Clairabella Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. I had just about discounted bi fold doors but now I've looked at these I am having a rethink. The width of the profiles is a concern as the door is the only light into a long kitchen. I'm thinking that we need as much glass as possible hence my querying aluminium.
  • Ant555
    Options
    No problem. I am sure you will make the right decision for your circumstances.

However, I would say that the light coming through the doors is definitely not an issue for us in our dining room even in the winter months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure