PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Instructing solicitors

Options
So our mortgage was approved subject to valuation on Tuesday by Natwest. Valuation is now not until the end of next week. We aren't expecting an issue with the valuation. Are we safe to instruct our solicitors to start or should wee wait till valuation is confirmed? It's a non chain sale so both parties want to get things moving!

Comments

• joshardy
    joshardy Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I waited until I got the nod from my broker that the mortgage offer was in. I didn't want to waste £300 just in case the mortgage didn't come through should the valuation be way off. In the end, I only 'lost' about 2 days as our valuation and mortgage offer were done within a week.
  • MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    I instructed and paid £200 for searches as soon as the offer was accepted. It was another 3 weeks until our mortgage offer came through so saved a fair amount of time.

We were in a hurry so checked with the solicitors what costs would be incurred should we need to pull out and decided it was worth the punt.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If you want to complete ASAP knowing there is a risk then yes insruct them.
    If you are happy to take a week or so longer to complete but not risk losing money, then hold fire.

It is a personal preference.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies Heart says go for it, head says wait, it's a lot of money but just want to get things going! Can't believe it's so long a wait for valuation after mortgage approval (subject to valuation)
  • jlaw4
    jlaw4 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lauralou79 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies Heart says go for it, head says wait, it's a lot of money but just want to get things going! Can't believe it's so long a wait for valuation after mortgage approval (subject to valuation)

I'm in the same boat! been trying to decide what is best, but i would kick myself if my valuation comes in lower and i've paid £300 out... just trying to decide if the time saved would be worth risk! Never easy this house buying malarky
  • MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I should add. We had searches done and sales contract through before our mortgage offer.

Our offer wasn't waiting for the valuation, we went through Santander and they carry out the valuation as soon as the application is received. (if it's free with that particular product)
  • Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not overly worried about the valuation coming in lower we've a high % deposit and other houses that are similar have gone for more money. It's in a great location.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure