Insurance backed guarantee

Options
Is it possible for me to get an insurance-backed guarantee for plumbing work?

I've tried phoning a couple of insurance companies that came up on a google search, and they only deal with Ltd companies, not sole traders.

Does anyone know of an insurance-backed guarantee scheme that will deal with sole traders?

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm assuming you are a sole trader?

Try Trustmark.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 April 2017 at 6:58PM
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you are a sole trader?

Try Trustmark.

I'm the customer. i would like an insurance-backed guarantee for some of the work that is being done for me.I'm happy to pay reasonable fee for this, but can't find where to get it.

I realise the trades are supposed to do this but they don't like doing admin so i said I would try to find out where it can be purchased.

Trustmark site is not of any help as my trades are not members.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You usually have hoops to jump through to be able to offer one. Certain FMB members are able to offer based on time trading etc.

You won't be paying a small fee for it. Most sole traders simply aren't set up for the admin to deal with, erm, much at all. The business of being a 'sole trader' plumber, with some exceptions I'm sure, is being a plumber and putting your receipts in a box. And then being hounded by your accountant in January.

You are very much heading into the land of the business run by people with business heads and an office. And the overheads that match, as well as the % fee for the guarantee itself.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    But if a sole trader wanted to get one, how would they do it? I spoke to a couple of insurance companies, and they would only deal with limited companies.

Do you have any idea how much it would cost? Could a sole trader take out such a guarantee for my job only, or would they have to sign up for the year?
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    I'm not a sole trader or an insurance provider, but my view would be that insurers are unlikely to provide a guarantee based on the quality of workmanship without some idea of the quality of the person carrying it out. Looking at the FMB membership criteria, it seems to hint at Ltd Co status being required to join, but doesn't say outright.

As much as people on this board malign the FMB, there is much more due diligence carried out than other places you might find tradespeople. They don't allow just anyone to join and of those, don't allow everyone the opportunity to offer an insurance backed guarantee.

I presume that your plumber carries PL insurance, doesn't he have a broker providing that to him? They would be the best people for him to ask about offering additional products.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    From memory of the FMB policies, you pay membership and inspection fees which come somewhere near to £1000 in the first year and then policies cost a small percentage of the job value depending on the insurance package. It does take time and effort to get up and running too.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doesn't your water supplier offer some form of insurance against leaks and damage, from issues within your side of the meter.

And British Gas will offer central heating cover, so there are various types of insurance, for different aspects and levels of cover.

VB
  • Annie1960
    Options
    vansboy wrote: »
    Doesn't your water supplier offer some form of insurance against leaks and damage, from issues within your side of the meter.

And British Gas will offer central heating cover, so there are various types of insurance, for different aspects and levels of cover.

VB

This is not what I am seeking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family