Faulty car.

Options
smnb08
smnb08 Posts: 488 Forumite
edited 8 September 2019 at 4:15PM in Consumer rights
Wanted to buy my daughter a little run around to learn to drive in and use as a first car.
Found a car on auto trader that a garage was selling.
As we weren’t intending on taxing & insuring it for a week or so, I asked the garage if they were able to deliver it.

Car paid for (£600) direct into sellers bank, car dropped off last Sunday and just parked up on the drive.
asked my daughters dad to come have a look at the cars oil and tyres etc to make sure it was safe.
After 5 mins he comes in and tells me the cars basically f***ed!
He said the water tank and pipes are full of oil, that the head gasket has gone.
Seller isn’t answering the phone or replying to messages.
He was very quick to answer messaging when I was buying!

Please, please any advice? Where do I start.
sealed pot challenge member #920

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Does your daughter's father know what he's talking about? Worth checking before you go back to the garage. If he does, then you need to get it to the garage to reject it, which will mean taxing and insuring it unless they are prepared to come and collect it.

It's a Sunday. Try them again tomorrow and see what they say.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You bought a £600 car with out even seeing it? Ballsy.
  • smnb08
    Options
    You bought a £600 car with out even seeing it? Ballsy.

I know! Is ballsy a polite way of saying stupid? As that’s deffo how I feel....however had I of seen it I would of still bought it as I wouldn’t of known what I was looking at under the bonnet.
    Yes daughters dads best friend is a mechanic and he labours for him quite often.
    Yes I can get the car sorted by him but it’s the principle....wouldn’t of bought a car in that condition.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    At £600 you'll not get a car in much of a condition anyway, unless you're lucky or know what to look for. At that price it's a lottery.

Contact the garage tomorrow and see what they say. They are entitled to ask you to take it back to them for them to look at, so be prepared to arrange for it to be towed there or risk taxing and insuring it to drive it there.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 September 2019 at 11:59PM
    Options
    smnb08 wrote: »
    I know! Is ballsy a polite way of saying stupid? As that’s deffo how I feel....however had I of seen it I would of still bought it as I wouldn’t of known what I was looking at under the bonnet.
    Yes daughters dads best friend is a mechanic and he labours for him quite often.
    Yes I can get the car sorted by him but it’s the principle....wouldn’t of bought a car in that condition.

I wouldn't know what I am looking for if I bought a second hand car either, but that's exactly the reason I wouldn't buy one without help.:(
    I once had a work colleague try to sell me a car- he seemed shocked when I told him a friend of my boss was a royal marine mechanic and he was going to look it over for me..yes you've guessed it, it was a £6000 heap of rubbish which he didn't think I'd spot ( this was a long time ago)
    Fact is, you did buy the car in that condition, also you did a bank transfer?!!
    Please learn from this. Not all people are fair or nice.
  • smnb08
    Options
    That’s the thing....we weren’t expecting much, as I said, a little run around to learn to drive in.

There’s hundreds of cars out there for £600 and less that are older but in driveable condition!

That’s the thing, yes it’s a lesson to learn....having said that, I thought I was safe buying a car from a garage with several cars for sale advertised on auto trader.

I will get something done, don’t know what or how but I’ll be like a dog with a bone until this is sorted!

Thanks everyone for replies, really appreciate everyone’s thoughts and advice x
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Seller isn’t answering the phone or replying to messages.

Are you phoning from the same number each time?
    If so, he may well recognise it which is why he won't answer.
    If so, try a different phone and if he has other cars for sale, he may well pick up.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your daughters father knows about cars and was checking over whatever car you bought after purchase anyway why didn't you just get him to help you find a suitable car in the first place?

Legally you may have rights to a refund but chasing that on a £600 car from a possible rogue dealer could be a complete nightmare, plus you'd need more that just "my ex said it's no good" you'd need an actual qualified mechanic not just someone who helps a mate and dabbles to give a report on what's wrong.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know! Is ballsy a polite way of saying stupid? As that’s deffo how I feel...

No, very brave!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So how was the condition of the car described to you, or in the ad? Has it got a full 12m MOT? Service history? Why couldn't your friend inspect it before you purchased it?
    Make, model, mileage and age?
    Given that a garage is going to need to make maybe £250 on it just to cover their overheads, It's unlikely that it's worth more than £350 as a trade in. The insurance alone is going to be 3 times the value of the car.
    PS: if it's parked on your drive without tax or insurance, then you need to SORN it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport