Ex owes me money

Options
Hi All,

im after some advice, me and the ex finished around 2 1/2 years ago. we had been saving for around 6 years. I was regularly transferring money to her accout under the reeferene 'savings'.
started with £400 and upto £750 to account amounting to over £34000

i am still struggling to get my money back.

any guidance about this?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You could just ask for it back, failing that MCOL.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • coficymru
    Options
    tried asking for it back

MCOL?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    coficymru wrote: »
    tried asking for it back

MCOL?

Money Claim Online aka small claims court.

What evidence do you have that your ex owes you this money? Why weren't you saving into your own account?
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    coficymru wrote: »
    Hi All,

im after some advice, me and the ex finished around 2 1/2 years ago (why now? what have you tried so far?). we had been saving for around 6 years. I was regularly transferring money to her accout under the reeferene 'savings'.
    started with £400 and upto £750 to account amounting to over £34000 (do you have a record of all transactions, any other "proof" that it wasn't just a monthly contribution for her to keep?)

i am still struggling to get my money back. (how, what have you tried so far?)

any guidance about this?

MCOL = https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • coficymru
    Options
    I have been trying since we finished,

i have asked her over and over, last time she sent a breakdown of what was spent on the children, and also worked out that my contribution for child maintenance that she is trying to back date for the years that we were together.
    i do pay child maintenance and see the children since we finished.

All transactions are with the ref 'savings' can i access an old Barclays account that i have closed down? i used that for the frist 2 years.

so far it has only been in person and by messages that I have asked for my money back

I will give that site a try now thank you
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    1. You say "we" had been saving - what was this for - a house deposit or something else?

2. Why were your savings being sent to her and not kept in your own account?

3. £34k is a lot of money outstanding. What does your ex say when you have asked for it back (apart from making excuses about child maintenance) why hasn't she paid you the "remainder"? Or does she think the £34k in total should be allocated for backdated plus future child maintenance?

4. To prevent her from using child maintenance as an excuse, you should perhaps set it up yourself: https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

5. If you have a closed Barclays bank account then you can still access the statements: https://www.barclays.co.uk/help/accounts/statements-balances/closed-statements-online/

Although not sure exactly what use that will be to prove that your ex owes you money, only that you sent it to her.

6. Do you think she even has the money left? I mean 2.5 years later is a long time to be waiting.

7. Were you married?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • coficymru
    coficymru Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    The money was used to fund a house build which was in her parent name

I have spoken with citizens advice and had free 30mins legal consultation through my union on how to proceed

with the money if she still has this i dont know, however i need to start the process ASAP
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    For that amount of money, it may be Fast Track or Multi-track and not "small claims".

The issue being that if it is allocated out of small claims, there is no cost protection. The loser pays both sides costs.

Take legal advice, a deep breath, and try not to do court.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • coficymru
    Options
    Spoken with a mediator this week, they can discuss things around access to my kids properly and written down and she will also discuss the finance to see if things can get arranged before going to the courts, which is what I am hoping for
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure