Mortgage and Divorce, adding new partner anonymously

Options
Hello,

I will be getting divorced from my husband and want to keep the marital home. I can afford to pay him his equity in the house from my savings, but I’m concerned I won’t be able to keep the mortgage in my name alone, as I don’t earn enough. (I could physically afford to pay the monthly repayments, but don’t think the bank would let me borrow that much based on my salary) I want to add my new partner onto the mortgage (as our salaries together will be enough) however is there a way to sign the legal documents (I’m assuming it’s only land registry(?)) without my husband seeing the name of my new partner on any document? He knows of him and it would cause more heartache than is needed.

No children involved.

My new partner said he would be happy not to be named on the title of the house, but be on the mortgage, until my husband has been removed. Then at a later date add him onto the land registry.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In a word no chance, as he needs to sign off the documents of change in name too!
  • DrivingMissDaisy
    Options
    If no children involved, has your husband agreed that you can continue living there ? What if he says he wants to stay?

The best would be to sell this house and buy new one with new partner and maybe in few years time rinse and repeat
  • Rachel83
    Rachel83 Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    If your husbands name is currently on the house he will have to sign the paperwork listing you and your new partners name on it. If he’s not named on the house then he wouldn’t.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    joint borrower sole proprietor mortgage.

That way your partner doesn't sign the house transfer deed and your ex doesn't see his name, but he probably knows anyway.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How new is your new partner?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts