Can a dealership discontinue the colour I have chosen for my car?

Options
Me and my partner placed an order for a brand new mercedes GLA on the 14th August. Mercedes rang me this week to tell me they have discontinued the colour we have chosen, although it is still available on other models.

Can they just say they are no longer say that they won't do my car in the colour I ordered. I have paid a £500 deposit and signed the dotted line.

Also a side note they put my delivery dat back several times and it's now February which is ridiculous.

Any help welcome. Thanks Luke

Comments

• Cetshwayo
    Options
    I doubt it was the dealership that changed the colour, unless your from Larkhall and ordered a green car.

You say the colour is available on other models? How can you be sure of this? Perhaps it has been discontinued across the board.

Not much you can do apart from cancelling.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would use the fact that Mercedes can't supply the colour you ordered as the reason to cancel the order so you can get your deposit back. The dealer should be fine with this. Then find a car in the colour you like and that has a delivery date you can accept.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As per others, if the manufacturer is unable (unwilling) to build the specific car you've ordered there's nothing you can do other than:

a) Cancel the order and get a refund, or
    b) Choose another colour (and see if they'll give you a further discount)
    Cetshwayo wrote: »
    I doubt it was the dealership that changed the colour, unless your from Larkhall and ordered a green car.

:D I guess you live not too far from me then. :)
  • Luke100395
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I was hoping someone was going to tell me that because I ordered the car whilst the colour was available and there is a legally binding contract that they should have to honour it.
    But never mind I guess we'll have to decide on something else. Or I might go in and see if I can them to chuck in a service plan or something for free.

Thanks Luke
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could in theory sue the dealer-but what resolution are you seeking if you do?
    I'd be asking for an additional £500 discount on an alternative spec. If not, tell them you are off to the local BMW or Audi dealer instead.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Luke100395
    Options
    Thanks I think that sounds like far too much effort. I think asking for something extra chucking In sounds like a better plan. And yeah if they continue to me as me about I might just go elsewhere.
    Thanks for your advise.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Luke100395 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I was hoping someone was going to tell me that because I ordered the car whilst the colour was available and there is a legally binding contract that they should have to honour it.
    But never mind I guess we'll have to decide on something else. Or I might go in and see if I can them to chuck in a service plan or something for free.

Thanks Luke

If they've run out of paint what can they do?

This sort of thing is ordered in quantities far in excess of "a can or two
    just to fill an order."

It's unfortunate but just accept it and move on.
  • Luke100395
    Options
    They haven't just run out of paint as the colour is still offered on other models.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It sounds like Mercedes have already updated their systems so that the colour is no longer available on the model. Persuading them to reverse their system changes to produce one car is a tall order. The only way to do this is to ask the dealer to speak to Mercedes UK to see if they can negotiate with Mercedes Germany to reverse their system changes. There is no way to force them to do this as the contract will allow the dealer to cancel the deal under the circumstances that have occurred, so negotiating is the only way forward.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Luke100395
    Options
    Cheers for all your help I will post with my results after going to see them on Saturday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure