Best small car under £3000

Options
Soph1988
Soph1988 Posts: 71 Forumite
I'm currently looking at purchasing one of the following:

Toyota Aygo
Peugeot 107
Citroen C1

I'm looking at a max spend of £3500, but would certainly prefer to keep it nearer the £2,500 - £3,000 mark.

Any recommendations or suggestions on which to go for? I'm hoping to use it primarily for driving about two hours a day, in and out of a busy city centre and they all seems to have a great MPG. I could do with it lasting me around three years with as few costly repairs as possible - although I know this will be reliant on how I look after it / service etc. Insurance is coming in pretty cheap on these to. I'm looking at a 2010/2011 model for that budget I believe, but can't decide which one I should go for... they seem like the same car with different names!

Comments

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can get a 13 reg Kia Picanto for around that money, so it will still have some warranty (as long as the previous owners have serviced it properly). Great little cars.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Soph1988 wrote: »

Toyota Aygo
    Peugeot 107
    Citroen C1
    They're the exact same car, built on the exact same line in the exact same factory in the Czech Republic. The only difference is minor cosmetics.
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    Honda Jazz?
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Options
    Soph1988 wrote: »

Toyota Aygo
    Peugeot 107
    Citroen C1

I'm looking at a max spend of £3500, but would certainly prefer to keep it nearer the £2,500 - £3,000 mark.

Any recommendations or suggestions on which to go for? I'm hoping to use it primarily for driving about two hours a day, in and out of a busy city centre and they all seems to have a great MPG. I could do with it lasting me around three years with as few costly repairs as possible - although I know this will be reliant on how I look after it / service etc. Insurance is coming in pretty cheap on these to. I'm looking at a 2010/2011 model for that budget I believe, but can't decide which one I should go for... they seem like the same car with different names!

Best advice i can give you us buy a toyota yaris 1.4 diesel £30 road tax per year, cheap insurance, cheap parts, very reliable, chain driven good on fuel

we just sold ours after having it for 2 years never let us down, you can pick them up for 3k all day long
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They are all the same car underneath so pick the one you like the most! They do seem pretty robust - try for one with a service history and if poss with a recent new clutch as they are mainly city cars. My SD has an Aygo and it;s been great so far and still looks good for a 12 yr old car.
    Don't discount Kia Picanto, Hyunda i10 or even a Nissan Micra
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The Hyundai i10 has 5 seatbelts which makes it more useful.
  • sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why would anyone, who is not a car buff, know that information ?
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Best small car under £3000

It's pretty close between

Seat Mii/Skoda Citigo/Volkswagen Up

and

Kia Picanto/Hyundai i10

but the former are only just coming into that bracket for lower spec or higher mileage models. It's a case of seeing what comes up for you.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Hyundai i10 has 5 seatbelts which makes it more useful.
    Same as Picanto and the Micra:)
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Soph1988
    Soph1988 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations guys!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business