DRO and budget for vaping (medical advice)

Options
I have a friend who is the position of applying for a DRO.
The adviser considers she is eligible, but has flagged up a couple of issues with her "outgoings", which in my opinion are reasonable objections (she still qualifies even if they were removed).

One expense is for vaping, which I would have regarded would be treated in much the same way as smoking. Advice on smoking is that sometimes a "smoking expense" is allowed, and other times not. Personally I have issues with people being in debt and smoking, but I appreciate the difficulty.

I should add that she is on long term medication for anxiety and depression, and over a year ago switched from smoking to vaping after 30 years on tobacco. If we were to get a doctors letter supporting a "well being" reason why for the next year she should vape (ultimate aim to stop vaping), is this likely to allow vaping as an expense on the DRO submission?

Comments

• TheOldSeaDog78
    Options
    How much is she spending? I vape and spend £20 a month. Had no issues on my DRO
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I have a friend who is the position of applying for a DRO.
    The adviser considers she is eligible, but has flagged up a couple of issues with her "outgoings", which in my opinion are reasonable objections (she still qualifies even if they were removed).

Doesn't seem to be an issue for the DRO.

I guess the adviser is wondering where the money is coming from if the bedget is negative with the vaping in.

Most of my clients (since the benefit cuts) have negative financial statements.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure