Do I have to use Ebay courier label to return an item?

Options
Hi - I'm sending an Ebay purchase back for a refund and have been given the option of either Royal Mail or Parcelforce - can I just order a courier myself and not use the Ebay label?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ETF65 wrote: »
    Hi - I'm sending an Ebay purchase back for a refund and have been given the option of either Royal Mail or Parcelforce - can I just order a courier myself and not use the Ebay label?

It depends. What sort of return is it, a change of mind where you pay your own costs, or a SNAD?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ETF65
    ETF65 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    It depends. What sort of return is it, a change of mind where you pay your own costs, or a SNAD?

It's a change of mind so I'm having to pay to send it back. I bought a tv from an Ebay store and just not happy with it. The problem is I've gone through the returns section on Ebay and it says I have to take it to a Post Office which is difficult as its a large item. I thought it might be possible to book a courier myself to pick it up rather than use the Ebay label?
  • soolin
    Options
    It's a change of mind so I'm having to pay to send it back. I bought a tv from an Ebay store and just not happy with it. The problem is I've gone through the returns section on Ebay and it says I have to take it to a Post Office which is difficult as its a large item. I thought it might be possible to book a courier myself to pick it up rather than use the Ebay label?

As long as you use a reasonable way to return and have informed your seller that item is coming back then you can arrange your own courier. Make sure though that you are fully insured as TVs are often excluded from any insurance, and you would be liable for any damage until it is safely in the sellers hands.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ETF65
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    As long as you use a reasonable way to return and have informed your seller that item is coming back then you can arrange your own courier. Make sure though that you are fully insured as TVs are often excluded from any insurance, and you would be liable for any damage until it is safely in the sellers hands.

Thanks - yes the insurance part of it is a bit worrying - it was delivered by DPD so am hoping to use them if they're not too expensive.
  • soolin
    Options
    Thanks - yes the insurance part of it is a bit worrying - it was delivered by DPD so am hoping to use them if they're not too expensive.

Still check the insurance carefully, just because the seller used them doesn't mean they were insured- many sellers save a bit of money by self insuring and may have a special arrangement for safe collection and delivery.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think DPD are one of the better couriers but are nowhere near being cheap.

Is the TV double boxed?

DPD.. TV's excluded over 37"
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ETF65
    Options
    I think DPD are one of the better couriers but are nowhere near being cheap.

Is the TV double boxed?

DPD.. TV's excluded over 37"

No it's not double boxed unfortunately - might put some extra cardboard in the box to try and protect it. The tv is 32" so would be ok to send with DPD but you are probably right about them not being cheap.
  • soolin
    Options
    No it's not double boxed unfortunately - might put some extra cardboard in the box to try and protect it. The tv is 32" so would be ok to send with DPD but you are probably right about them not being cheap.

Just make sure they don't specify double boxing as only adding extra side sheets of cardboard if double boxing was required would nullify any claim for damage. remember this will be thrown around and probably stored overnight as well potentially under a lot of other heavy sharped cornered items.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure