PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Jnelhams
    Jnelhams Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    Salted Pistachio nut shells make a good slug repellant around plants.
    My Mind wanders, if found please return.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jnelhams wrote: »
    Salted Pistachio nut shells make a good slug repellant around plants.

As do eggshells.

If you get greenfly on your plants use soapy water (a bit of washing up liquid in tepid water) and pour over the plant. This should dislodge them. Repeat if necessary.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    softpad wrote: »
    I dont buy bookmarks, cut the corner from an old envelope and slip it on the corner of the page. I also draw pretty things on them and give them as gifts, after decorating, cover both sides with sellotape and cut off spare edges and they look beautifully pretty. You can have more than one bookmark in each book too and it does not damage the spine :)

Hope someone likes my tip

I don't think I've EVER bought a bookmark as an adult! I have lots around my house already. Either given to me as gifts, or picked up free from charity shops or libraries.
    If in dire need, a small strip torn from the edge of the TV guide works just fine! :rotfl: I must have picked that one up from my mum, who almost exclusively uses a strip from one of her weekend papers as a bookmark, if she needs one!
    In one of the books in my bedroom is a leather SeaLife Centre bookmark that I distinctly remember buying on a school trip, aged 11. I'm now 29. :)
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The bookmark I'm using was a gift - commemorating the Queen's Jubilee in 1977.
    Normal people worry me.
  • helzbelz_57
    helzbelz_57 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Options
    Frugalsod wrote: »
    Rather than buy fancy liquid soap, use a cheap foam bath liquid instead. It does the job just as well and is a fraction of the cost. Just refill what ever containers or dispensers you already have.

I do this. I buy the A**a bath foam, add about 20 drops of lavender oil, split the bottle in half by decanting half into an old bottle and top both up with water then I refill all my hand wash dispensers when necessary. I also use it in a pump dispenser as shower gel.
    "it's better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick" - my dad, regularly throughout my childhood when I complained about something being too small/not perfect/not tasty/not what I wanted. he was right every time. :D
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    An Effective and cheap weed killer is SALT.

But do not put it anywhere near the plants you want to keep and your lawn!

I use on the patio and the gravel patch.

It's a bit of a faff, but you're out in the fresh air, so all is good...

Sprinkle the salt, liberally over the area. Then lightly wet it with a watering can or hose on low volume. Honestly. The weeds are gone in a few days.

You do need a couple of days dry weather I find, otherwise the salt gets washed away.

And it's relatively Eco friendly....I think!
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do this. I buy the A**a bath foam, add about 20 drops of lavender oil, split the bottle in half by decanting half into an old bottle and top both up with water then I refill all my hand wash dispensers when necessary. I also use it in a pump dispenser as shower gel.

I suspect that you could add any fragrant essence to get the effort that anyone wants, depending on personal preference.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 March 2014 at 11:11AM
    Options
    Sounds really obvious but for our weekend cooked breakfasts (for 2) I've been splitting packets and tins in half each day e.g. 1/2 tin of beans, 3 rashers of bacon instead of 6, 2 sausages each instead of 4, 1 slice of toast instead of 2 etc. and putting the rest in the fridge for breakfast the next day. I've halved the quantity of food and my OH hasn't even noticed lol!

With Branston beans, farmfoods bacon, eggs, Richmond sausages, toast, Aldi haggis, black pudding, coffee and cheese I've got the cost down to £4.98 for 4 cooked breakfasts over two days.

Good for my waistline too but then I grill and poach anyway rather than fry :D
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    Sounds really obvious but for our weekend cooked breakfasts (for 2) I've been splitting packets and tins in half each day e.g. 1/2 tin of beans, 3 rashers of bacon instead of 6, 2 sausages each instead of 4, 1 slice of toast instead of 2 etc. and putting the rest in the fridge for breakfast the next day. I've halved the quantity of food and my OH hasn't even noticed lol!

With Branston beans, farmfoods bacon, eggs, Richmond sausages, toast, Aldi haggis, black pudding, coffee and cheese I've got the cost down to £4.98 for 4 cooked breakfasts over two days.

Good for my waistline too but then I grill and poach anyway rather than fry :D

You are also not throwing much away as well. So you are making the grocery budget last longer. Also by reducing the size of the meals you are also reducing the fat and salt that is in the meal so doubly healthy.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • michelleturner_2
    Options
    I save money by not having a bath until Fridays, I save money on my heating and hot water bills lol
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback