Advice with car insurance?!

Options
Hey guys, I need some advice.

I recently had an accident. My car was parked in a car park and I came back to it to find that it had rolled down a hill and bumped into another car. (traveled about 3 parking spaces) This is the first time I have ever had to deal with insurance companies so I am pretty clueless.

I spoke to the gentleman whose car it was that mine had bumped in to, I gave him all my details.

I rang him later that evening and asked if we could keep it out of the insurance because due to my age, the premiums would skyrocket to a stupid amount. He said he would get some quotes and let me know the price. I am not claiming for the damage on my car which is a lot worse than his.

He soon changed his mind and decided to go through the insurance. I decided to contact my insurance to see what's what and they tell me that I will have to pay my excess of £445 as it was my fault. My insurance is due for renewal in 1 weeks time, I had an insurance quote for £399 for my next policy with no claims on which is amazing as money is incredibly tight at the moment. I then ran another quote with a claim for £445 and it has jumped to £1500 which is absolutely ridiculous - I didn't pay that much in my first year!

Do I have to put the claim on the insurance quote even though I haven't made a claim or????

I have no idea what to do and I am in such a bad mental state with this, any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

Kind Regards
Ash

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You have had an accident. You have to declare it to your insurance company.

The third party is perfectly right to want to put it through your insurance.

Why is your insurance company saying you have to pay the excess on the third party's claim? That's only payable if you claim for the damage to your car!

Yes, you have to declare the accident to any potential insurer as the alternative is risk having your insurance cancelled and it costing thousands to insure.

Shop around for insurance, it's the only way you might get a cheaper quote.

Oh, when parked on a hill leave your car in gear as it wouldn't roll more than an inch or so if the handbrake failed.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2019 at 3:16PM
    Options

Why is your insurance company saying you have to pay the excess on the third party's claim? That's only payable if you claim for the damage to your car!

Not necessarily, some policies have an excess for "any" claim including from a third party

(Though there may be some confusion as it is strange that the OP is saying the cost of the claim is exactly the same as the excess!!)
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Not necessarily, some policies have an excess for "any" claim including from a third party

(Though there may be some confusion as it is strange that the OP is saying the cost of the claim is exactly the same as the excess!!)

Wow, I guess it really does pay to shop around then!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • ashbetterknow
    Options
    When I spoke to the customer advisor they told me that as I was at fault I had to pay the excess, if it reaches that amount. I don’t see why I have to pay the excess for their claim, I thought that I only pay excess if I was making a claim?

Appreciate all your help
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2019 at 8:33PM
    Options
    Check your policy wording and see what it says about when you pay your excess.

See #3 above regarding excess

If you tell us who your insurer is we may be able to give you morfe precise help

But if what you say is correct (the claim costs £445 and your excess is the same figure (£445) then pointless having a fault claim on your record! ("Fault" meaning your insurer pays out, not "blame")

Bear in mmind if you pay this £445 to stop the insurer paying your claim you must still disclose the incident when applying for insurance in the future and your pemium will get a loading for it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure