PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rather than buy fancy liquid soap, use a cheap foam bath liquid instead. It does the job just as well and is a fraction of the cost. Just refill what ever containers or dispensers you already have.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    Aldi do a Tresemme-like large bottle of shampoo and conditioner for £2 each and it's just as good! I have long, thick hair (longest layer is about 50cm long) and wash my hair every other day and I'm only on my second bottle in the last 8 months :eek:

They also do an Alberto Balsam like shampoo and conditioner for 65p. Its really good, they do the raspberry one, coconut and a green one (tea tree I think).
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • matty17r
    matty17r Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    If you buy Benecol drinks save a few containers with their secure little plastic lids and fill them with small amounts of gloss white paint or the emulsion colour you have on your walls and keep in a handy cupboard. . Then if skirting boards, doors or walls get accidentally marked or scuffed you can touch them up quickly and easily in a couple of minutes without turning it into a major operation. Put a dab of the coloured paint on the lid or side of pot so you know what colour it contains.
    Thanks for this primrose. Have just got some wedding craft projects on the go and these benecol pots are ideal for little leftover of paint. Dd was asking for tupperwarepots then thought of your suggestion.
  • Uniscots97
    Options
    I've lost count over the years of how many pairs of high heels I end up with scratches on the heels from driving or catching them between paving stones. I use a marker (for the colour) and then nail varnish to smooth over (and fill in) the scratch or gouge and seal it. This has saved me a fortune over the years rather than taking my shoes to the cobbler to repair.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Uniscots97
    Options
    Just been watching nail art on This Morning. They showed nail stickers which were over £10 (only enough to do your nails once)! If you like doing nail art then look at craft stickers as they are much cheaper than actual nail stickers. Craft stickers can be normally 49p to £2 for a full sheet of stickers. The best places to get these sort of stickers is Home Bargains, Hobbycraft or online.
  • Uniscots97
    Options
    If you get a foundation sample in a magazine and its too dark for you, you don't need to waste it. You can make a great tinted moisturiser for summer (if it ever gets here) out of it.

You'll need:-

a small clean container with a lid (a small jar is best, make sure the lid can be shut tight)
    a cocktail stick
    your foundation sample
    your normal face cream

empty the foundation sample into the container and add the same amount of your face cream and mix using the cocktail stick. If it is still too dark add a little more face cream (only a tiny drop) and mix again. Repeat until you get the right colour for you. Your tinted moisturiser will last in the jar for a few weeks at least (unless you use it up first!).
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stock-pile basic stock cubes! Since Jack Monroe (agirlcalledjack) began singing the praises of sainaburys basic stock cubes, the price has gone up from 10p for 10 to 25p for 10!!! that's 150% price increase from last year, Sainsburys you should be ashamed. How are all the other "Jacks" going to cope with your profiteering.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Some great new tips there, thank you.
    Just a quick mention for toiletries, a lot can be re-purposed if you find they don't suit.

I can't take baths due to arthritis, but I use up gifts of bubble bath in various ways, either on a body puff as I would shower gel if it is thick enough, or as foot soak if it is moisturising, or if it's a bit runny, as handwash.

Unloved shampoo can be used as handwash to wash lingerie and woollens, unloved hair conditioner is a first class replacement for shaving cream/gel (it tends not to dissolve too well in water for fabric conditioner).
    I use up unloved body lotions/creams/butters on leather to clean and condition, as mentioned previously. My shoes smell of coconut today! Most creams that don't work on the face or body are fine to use up on your feet. I used to suffer a lot with foot problem of tough skin and nails but daily moisturising has sorted those.
    Don't put it on at night-time with socks, as they can restrict circulation and also often come off, leaving you to spread the cream over your sheets... I always put mine on before socks or tights in the morning.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Busymumofthreeplusdog
    Options
    :T:T:T:beer::beer::jwoohoo:j:beer::beer::T:T:T

It's taken me about a week on/off to finish reading the original "sneaky ways to save pennies" thread but I'm sooooo glad I did. Have already implemented many ideas, here's hoping I see the difference in my accounts over the next few months........
    Busymumofthreeplusdog......
    ..............on a mission to curtail the spending and build up the savings
    2015 NSD total - 5
  • softpad
    softpad Posts: 1,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dont buy bookmarks, cut the corner from an old envelope and slip it on the corner of the page. I also draw pretty things on them and give them as gifts, after decorating, cover both sides with sellotape and cut off spare edges and they look beautifully pretty. You can have more than one bookmark in each book too and it does not damage the spine :)

Hope someone likes my tip
    MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOUR
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport