Calorific Value for Gas

Options
I have noticed on my latest statement from Green Network Energy that a calorific value for gas of 65.6MJ/m3 has been used in the calculation of gas energy used. On previous GNE statements and also on those of my previous supplier the value has typically been 39/39.1. This results in an increase in gas cost of 68% per m3 of gas used!
I have asked GNE for an explanation (still waiting) but I wondered if anyone else has experience of this and has an explanation.

Comments

• Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    I have noticed on my latest statement from Green Network Energy that a calorific value for gas of 65.6MJ/m3 has been used in the calculation of gas energy used. On previous GNE statements and also on those of my previous supplier the value has typically been 39/39.1. This results in an increase in gas cost of 68% per m3 of gas used!
    I have asked GNE for an explanation (still waiting) but I wondered if anyone else has experience of this and has an explanation.

Sounds like a mistake.

The CV of mains gas must be within the range 37.5 and 43.0 MJ/m3
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GNE should come back to you and confirm that a mistake has been made (possibly in data entry). Natural Gas will never have a calorific value much above 40MJ/m3. Basically nothing has a calorific value of 65MJ/m3 so you need to complain if they insist they are correct.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You could ask the gas transporter for the declared CV for your region during the period in question.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 December 2020 at 2:30PM
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    You could ask the gas transporter for the declared CV for your region during the period in question.
    Or you could check it yourself http://mip-prd-web.azurewebsites.net/DataItemExplorer/Index
    The only place that has a CV close to that is Stornoway
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Or you could check it yourself http://mip-prod-web.azurewebsites.net/DataItemExplorer/Index

That's because Stornoway receives LPG
  • harlequin55
    Options
    Thanks to all who have responded. Very helpful!
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course there can be a difference between the declared CV from the gas transmission /distribution operator and what finally passes through your meter. For instance,you could be paying for some water as well. Up until maybe 7 years ago, DNOs were required to regularly check their gas network for water vapour content. Your friends at OFGEM cancelled the requirement for them to do this so now,well you could be buying water vapour with your gas and no one would be any the wiser.

If you filled your car at the garage with unleaded and the assistant then came out and put a pyrex jug full of water in your tank and charged you for that, would you be ok with it?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    molerat said:
    matelodave wrote: »
    Or you could check it yourself http://mip-prod-web.azurewebsites.net/DataItemExplorer/Index
    Think that should be https://mip-prd-web.azurewebsites.net/DataItemExplorer/Index
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 December 2020 at 2:32PM
    Options
    14 months to notice the error - or did we get a spammer sneak in ? :o
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    molerat said:
    14 months to notice the error - or did we get a spammer sneak in ? :o
    Heaven knows why you think correcting a broken link is spamming !  
    Calorific Value was mentioned in a thread today, which is why I came across your earlier post.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback