APD for flights we didn't take won't be refunded by Ryanair

Options
Hi all

Wife and I had flights from Edi to Prague last year. Sadly we couldn't make the holiday due to various reasons.

Last week I emailed Ryanair to request the APD refunded and received an email with the following:

'With regard to your request for a refund of the government tax paid on your Ryanair booking confirmation number xxx, applications for refunds of government tax are subject to an administration charge of €20/£17GBP (or local equivalent) per passenger. Please note that only the government tax is refundable. All other fees and charges, such as passenger service charge, aviation insurance and credit & debit card handling fees are non refundable, as they are paid irrespective of flights being used.

In this case, the administration fee exceeds the total amount of government taxes paid per passenger so unfortunately no refund is due in this instance. Please note that all other fees and charges, such as the passenger service charge, aviation insurance and reservation system administration fees are non-refundable as per our General Terms and Conditions of Carriage.'

The total flight cost was £105 for the 2 of us return so not a massive amount but I thought anyone flying had to pay the APD and if you didn't fly, it'd be refunded. Obviously I'm getting my wires crossed so could someone kindly help me in understanding why this is not the case in this instance.

Like I say, I wasn't expecting much but just unsure why RA aren't required to pay any tax for the flight.

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are correct but the airline is entitled to charge an administration fee for processing the refund. In your case their admin fee is more than the refund due.

RA don't have to pay the tax because nobody departed from the airport.
  • shapala
    shapala Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are correct but the airline is entitled to charge an administration fee for processing the refund. In your case their admin fee is more than the refund due.

RA don't have to pay the tax because nobody departed from the airport.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. Useful to know.
  • michele-p
    michele-p Posts: 820 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We've had this before on unused flights, the refund would be less than the admin charge, so you don't get it.
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [QUOTE=shapala;74547910_Please_note_that_only_the_government_tax_is_refundable._All_other_fees_and_charges,_such_as_passenger_service_charge_****_are_non_refundable,_as_they_are_paid_irrespective_of_flights_being_used.[/QUOTE]

Interesting angle, they must lose money on fully refundable tickets if thats the case (it isnt).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure