Refund to old debit card - advice please

Options
Hi

Can anybody offer any help or advise on this one please?

My daughter paid a £100 deposit on a new (Hyundai) car with a Halifax debit card. She was in the process of closing an account and opening another. She informed the dealer at the time. 5 months later and there is no sign of the refund. Hyundai say that they have refunded the money to the card that the deposit was paid with. This card is now closed. I thought this would be relatively simple to sort, but Halifax are saying that they have no record of her having a card with that number and they can't track down where the refund has gone unless they get a sort code and an account number that the money was paid into. Hyundai are saying that they refunded it to the card that she paid with and can't provide a sort code or account number.

The card was defintely a Halifax card. We have the last digits of the card on the receipt and it was used in her Amazon account. We have a recipt from Hyundai saying that the money was paid back to the card. We seem to have got ino a loop here where niether party can help us track the money down. Halifax are telling us that they can't track down any details on a closed debit card - I'm having a bit of trouble with this bit tbh.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TonyM19 wrote: »
    but Halifax are saying that they have no record of her having a card with that number and they can't track down where the refund has gone unless they get a sort code and an account number that the money was paid into
    Halifax are telling us that they can't track down any details on a closed debit card
    Has your daughter tried providing Halifax with the account number and sort code of the current account with which the debit card was associated?
  • TonyM19
    TonyM19 Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. They claim that no card with that number was associated with the account.
  • TonyM19
    Options
    The latest response is from Hyundai who have given me an Acquirer Reference Number (a 22 digit number) to pass to the bank to release the funds.

I can't believe this can be so complicated
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The latest response is from Hyundai who have given me an Acquirer Reference Number (a 22 digit number) to pass to the bank to release the funds.

I can't believe this can be so complicated

Did she use the CASS (switch service) or just close it?
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    It's not complicated the account is closed the card is closed that means it is closed no payments can be made from it and no refunds can be made to it

clearly the money has gone somewhere it was just take some detective work to find out where
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Have you got the long card number for only the last four digits
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 May 2018 at 7:40PM
    Options
    I would ask the Halifax for details of the long number for the last active debit card.

They may have refunded it back to the wrong account.

Might be worth asking for a letter confirming the card details.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the refund for, you haven't explained that? Did she change her mind about buying the car?
  • GAD1981
    GAD1981 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    This has happened to us recently too? Did anyone have a solution?
  • TonyM19
    Options
    Hi

This is still ongoing, but I'll just give some updates.

1. It wasn't a Halifax card. It turns out that it was a NatWest debit card. I suppose this is a downside to moving accounts to get good deals. Its certainly a lesson for her to keep better records.
    2. She made the payment in January
    3. She closed the Natwest account that the card was linked to in March
    4. Hyundai are saying that they made the refund in April. The money must have gone into the NatWest 'system'. Hyundai say that the payment they made was not 'bounced back' to them.

I'm assuming that I should now be getting after NatWest. Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

PS In response to a previous poster the £100 deposit was to secure the car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport