Civil service query (Alpha) - joining at 49!

Options
DennC
DennC Posts: 23 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Got a new job and been offered the chance to join the defined benefit pension scheme (alpha) or defined contribution pension scheme.

I've actually been auto-enrolled onto alpha but need to confirm I'm happy to stay in it. I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be thinking about joining at the ripe old age of 49.

Bit of context. I'm not intending to retire until 65-67 and can theoretically work till then in this new role, and the alpha option sounds attractive. The only spanner in the works is that I have a pension fund (about £30k+) from a previous job currently being looked after by Legal and General, which I'd like to transfer to the alpha if possible.

Any thoughts???

Thanks

DC

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only spanner in the works is that I have a pension fund (about £30k+) from a previous job currently being looked after by Legal and General, which I'd like to transfer to the alpha if possible.

Why a spanner in the works?

https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/members/what-to-expect/when-you-want-to-transfer-benefits-into-the-civil-service-pension-arrangements/
  • DennC
    DennC Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wrong choice of words. Maybe complexity is better! Wonder If I should be considering my old DC pension when thinking about a new one.
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You can find out what your transferred in DC pension will be worth in Alpha. There's an Excel file available from download on the MyCSP website. Someone posted a link to it on one of the other recent threads on Alpha.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    They should have done, there is a different provider running the service now. After a short period of settling, it seems to have settled down. I am in the process of claiming mine and the quote reflected exactly the right figures, provided at exactly the right time. I have just sent my choices back (by recorded delivery) and am just waiting on my letter confirming it all. No complaints here.

My DH joined a DB scheme a number of years ago and will retire later this year. I really wish we had been save enough to transfer his DC into it then. In alpha you can commute income to lump sum up to the 25% of the fund and it will effectively give you the extra years of service - why would you not transfer?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bear in mind there may be a time limit on when you can transfer other pensions into the DB one (and it's nobody's job to tell you this) so don't put this off - find out as much as you can as soon as possible.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure