Building Control - No refund! Help

Options
Good morning,

I'm having an issue with getting a refund with my local building control.

Basically I\m moving house and my solicitor said the buyers needed a building regs certificate for a chimney in my kitchen, so I went to get a regularisation certificate.

BUT it turn out they were talking about a chimney that hasn't been touched since the place was built (or way before my time there).

So i filled in a regularisation form and paid my £257 fee. My solicitor then told me it wasn't needed so since then I have been chasing a refund. I have been told they wont be issuing a refund.

How can they not issue a refund bearing in mind I havent had a visit or any associated paperwork?

Surely I have rights to a refund?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Alan

Comments

• cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did they complete the service?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They don't have to, the service is there if they need it. It's not building controls fault they don't need it anymore.

\if you make an appointment with the dentist you still have to pay if you don't show up, just one of many examples of why you're not entitled to a refund.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    \if you make an appointment with the dentist you still have to pay if you don't show up, just one of many examples of why you're not entitled to a refund.

Off point but, no.

The NHS stopped this a while back.

And Private they gernarally don't as you tend to book a new appointment. Especially if you miss a automatically generated appointment.

NHS wise I tend to think this is bad however. It needs all the funding it can get.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure