Passport expiry date / Mercury direct.

Just browsing through next summers Mercury Direct brochure, and it states "All our destinations require that your passport is valid for at least 6 months after the end of your holiday."
Most of the destinations are Europe. Isn't this false information? Potentially making people lose up to 6 months on a perfectly good passport.
I know some countries require this, but far from all.

Comments

• Agents and tour operators all state that and usually follow it by saying it's your responsibility to check passport and Visa requirements. They can't cover passport requirements for every nationality 6 months covers them for every destination and every nationality.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Agents and tour operators all state that and usually follow it by saying it's your responsibility to check passport and Visa requirements. They can't cover passport requirements for every nationality 6 months covers them for every destination and every nationality.

Fair comment, covers their own 4rses, but it's still a lie.
  • z1a wrote: »
    Just browsing through next summers Mercury Direct brochure, and it states "All our destinations require that your passport is valid for at least 6 months after the end of your holiday."
    Most of the destinations are Europe. Isn't this false information? Potentially making people lose up to 6 months on a perfectly good passport.

I don't think that they are saying that the governments of the destination countries require passports to be valid for 6 months after the end of the holiday.
    What they are saying is that they will only allow people to book holidays if their passports are valid for 6 months after the holiday has ended so what they state isn't a lie, simply one of their requirements if you want to book with them.

In reality it's no different to them having a requirement that all travelers must have valid travel insurance.
  • z1a wrote: »

It might be a lie but if they want to put that in their terms and conditions it is not illegal.
    If you don't like their terms just book with somebody else.

If for any reason a traveller is not allowed to enter any country guess who has to pay for repatriation? Yes the holiday company or airline that brought them there.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    z1a wrote: »
    I know some countries require this, but far from all.

That links with the government site re impact of no deal Brexit
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport-rules-for-travel-to-europe-after-brexit
    'The new rules will apply for travel to and between most countries in Europe'
  • Caz3121 wrote: »
    That links with the government site re impact of no deal Brexit
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport-rules-for-travel-to-europe-after-brexit
    'The new rules will apply for travel to and between most countries in Europe'

The government site isn't exactly accurate either. It's 3 months validity after the leaving date to enter Schengen and the EU, not 6, for 3rd country nationals, and the passport must have been issued in the last 10 years. They're saying 6 because that covers up to the maximum length of stay, 90 days. Not necessary if going for a 2 week holiday. If airlines follow what they govt has said I can see a lot of IDB claims being made.

Still, I'm sure they'll make it more accurate if and when we get a WA (depending on what's actually agreed), or maybe not ;)
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I don’t feel it’s a big deal.

They also operate to countries outside Europe so I would expect more of a generic ‘catch-all’ comment about passport validity than individual requirements (which could change) to all 25 or so destinations they send holidaymakers to.

As others have said, Mercury Direct are listing this as a requirement if you want to book with them. Sounds reasonable to cover most if not all destinations. Other tour operators are available.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    z1a wrote: »

It's not a lie. Tour operators can apply conditions which are more restrictive than Government requirements, but not less so. There may be a degree of posterior covering, but that is their decision. If you don't wish to comply with their t&c, book with a different agent/operator.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The government site isn't exactly accurate either. It's 3 months validity after the leaving date to enter Schengen and the EU, not 6, for 3rd country nationals, and the passport must have been issued in the last 10 years. They're saying 6 because that covers up to the maximum length of stay, 90 days. Not necessary if going for a 2 week holiday. If airlines follow what they govt has said I can see a lot of IDB claims being made.

Actually nobody can be sure what the requirements will be following a no deal Brexit. The only reasonably safe assumption is that it won't be more than that required from outside the EU.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    It's not a lie. Tour operators can apply conditions which are more restrictive than Government requirements, but not less so. There may be a degree of posterior covering, but that is their decision. If you don't wish to comply with their t&c, book with a different agent/operator.

Where did I say I don't wish to book with them?
    Rule doesn't affect me for a few years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport