Defaulted credit and its consequences

Options
Dear members,

I would like to ask your help with an issue I have with a credit defaulted.
At the current stage I have not yet requested a full credit report but just used the free online service offered by Checkmyfile.com.

I have noticed that an unpaid credit I had back in November 2014 has been reported as defaulted in September 2017.
The reason that causes me concern is not related to the fact that I will not be able to receive credit in the future, but it is related to my reputation and future job applications that can be declined due to this default shown on my report.

As many of you know, many companies these days perform a background check for credit and criminal history for each candidate.
I feel concerned about the fact that this default shown on my credit can be a serious barrier to future job applications.
To confirm this process I asked a friend who used to work for a very well-known recruitment firm that provides background check services.
He confirmed that even for a few hundreds great candidates were turned down if a sum of money of money was fund unpaid.

Unfortunately, it all started due to a prolonged period of unemployment that I went through for making a career transition. What's funny in this story is that I am pushing to make changes in my life, but it seems that these stories always get back to hit you.

I read on the forum that there's no chance to hide this information even if it's about less than 1,000 GBP and it will take years to get off from my report.
The worst part is that it shows defaulted only in 2017. I hope to be wrong but the consequences of this can be failing applications for public jobs, government contractors and or financial companies.

In conclusion I feel quite silly since I perceive this as a costly mistake that with experience I could have avoided.

If anybody feels to share his/her view it would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards, Franky.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 August 2018 at 5:16PM
    Options
    A default won't have an impact on the vast majority of job applications.

Only CCJs and bankruptcy would be cause for concern.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Many companies don’t perform credit checks.

They may run identity and money laundering checks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    He confirmed that even for a few hundreds great candidates were turned down if a sum of money of money was fund unpaid.

I think your friend is having you on slightly.

I have just been through a screening company for next to minimum wage call centre job (and whilst there is a lot to be said about these 'screening companies' in my option - like, just who regulates and governs them...) the only question regarding 'credit' was "have you ever had a petition for or been declared bankrupt", or, "have you had an IVA or CCJ". The whole process now complete I'll either go on to receive the contract or have an offer withdrawn which won't go down well, with getting this far and being honest, I can say!!

I'm baffled if people really intelligent fall for these daft questions, they think they are going to be asked.

You are more likely to have your employment record/history scrutinised, your ID and right to work confirmed, alongside possibly, a criminal record enquiry if you ask me. See all these are equally important....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure