Difference Between DVD Player and Blue Ray Player

Options
Ollie_Orpin
Ollie_Orpin Posts: 21 Forumite
edited 12 April 2018 at 8:28PM in Techie Stuff
We are on a Virgin TV full package and have HD Channels. I also have a lot of old DVD's which I sometimes lake to watch. My old DVD player about 15 years old is very basic and may soon need replacing. Can I buy a cheap DVD player that will give me a better picture.What would the advantage be of purchasing A Blue Ray player which I believe would be a lot more expensive. what extra does A blue ray Player do over a DVD Player. Any suggestions what model would be suitable for my simple needs. I don't want or need to spend a lot of money.is there any advantage of buying what I believe is called an upscalling model of a DVD player.

Comments

• Alexd52
    Alexd52 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depends what you mean by much more expensive, you can get decent blu ray players for under £100. Best thing to do is go on-line and research what features you want, read reviews and go from there.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What TV are you planning to watch them on or are you planning changing your TV too, and do you envisage buying blu-ray discs?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We are on a Virgin TV full package and have HD Channels. I also have a lot of old DVD's which I sometimes lake to watch. My old DVD player about 15 years old is very basic and may soon need replacing. Can I buy a cheap DVD player that will give me a better picture.What would the advantage be of purchasing A Blue Ray player which I believe would be a lot more expensive. what extra does A blue ray Player do over a DVD Player. Any suggestions what model would be suitable for my simple needs. I don't want or need to spend a lot of money.is there any advantage of buying what I believe is called an upscalling model of a DVD player.

It won't make your old DVD's look better but if you buy a new film on Blue ray it will look a lot better then the DVD version
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suppose the big question is, do you watch many DVDs and are you planning on watching many in the future?

My own blu-ray player hasn't been switched on in months since Amazon stopped their DVD/blu-ray home rental service and tbh I can't envisage a time when I'll need to use it again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sell them all why they!!!8217;re still worth something.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    I suppose the big question is, do you watch many DVDs and are you planning on watching many in the future?

My own blu-ray player hasn't been switched on in months since Amazon stopped their DVD/blu-ray home rental service and tbh I can't envisage a time when I'll need to use it again.

Same here. I have a collection of old DVDs from the US and when I play them, I feel like I am watching a movie through vaseline-smeared goggles!

I was sad when LoveFilm reached its demise (thanks, Amazon!) and haven't yet decided whether to go with Cinema Paradiso or some other outlet (Netflix and Amazon Prime aren't great for new movies).

In answer to the OP's question therefore, I'd be careful not to spend a wad of money on an expensive lovely new BlueRay player unless you are sure you will either rent or buy BlueRay discs. DVD/BlueRay, while not going the way of VHS, is not the future of video entertainment. However, a decent BlueRay player can be bought for less than £100. For example, this one.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't buy a blue ray player to play DVDs. A modern DVD player may be better than your older one and should offer hdmi connection which could improve the quality.

A neighbour bought a Sony player last year which remembers where you watched to on 6 different discs. Very useful for box sets.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/dvd-players/dvp-sr760h

Possibly cheaper elsewhere.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't buy a blue ray player to play DVDs. A modern DVD player may be better than your older one and should offer hdmi connection which could improve the quality.

A neighbour bought a Sony player last year which remembers where you watched to on 6 different discs. Very useful for box sets.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/dvd-players/dvp-sr760h

Possibly cheaper elsewhere.
    Why not, a good blu-ray player will play DVDs, and upscale them too, just as good as an equivalent DVD player plus with the advantage of playing blu-ray discs should he want to in the future.

And for the umpteenth time it's Blu-Ray, not Blue Ray! ;)
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Why not, a good blu-ray player will play DVDs, and upscale them too, just as good as an equivalent DVD player plus with the advantage of playing blu-ray discs should he want to in the future.
    A blu ray player playing dvds wont be any better than a upscaling dvd player. Its a pointless expense unless the op buys blu ray discs.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    Options
    Are you going to buy blu-way disc in future?
    If not, there is no harm to get a £20 DVD player.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure