MSE News: Santander to refund bogus card fees after latest gaffe

Options

Comments

• Frozenace
    Options
    We should boycott this bank.

I had to pay A+L under Santander 180 quid for a 50p overdraft over 3 months, because they applied dormant account charges.

They won't even bother to retain you as a customer.

MSE should stop advertising their deals, as over the life time, it's highly likely that they'll claw any incentives back.
  • gezzs
    gezzs Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    What a bunch of morons Santader are!
  • mentat72
    mentat72 Posts: 305 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On Friday they blocked my debit card and didn't even tell me, so I had to spend 30 minutes on the phone today until I got someone that wanted to actually fix the problem rather than palm me off.

Will be switching current account in January.
    Money can't buy friends, but it can get you a better class of enemy - Spike Milligan.
  • looneylaura
    Options
    They did the same with my Evans account Card, did get a letter of apology which arrived after I had switched the debt to another card so now I have a credit on the card which I don't have to use, as I cut the card up, when I write to close the account I will hopefully get a full refund.
  • karen24_2
    Options
    did this to me too on my Evans card. can't wait to clear this card so I can cancel it and cut it up. The customer service is rubbish too.
  • princessbecca
    Options
    omg! thought this was just me! had a £12 late payment fee added to my topshop although i pay the amount in full each month. i was very annoyed about this rung up and was told it had been refunded back to my account on the 16th nov. I checked my bank account this morning and the additional 12 pound has been taken and they said they wont be able to refund the 12pound back to my bank account only on to my topshop card!the service is a load of crap, the phone charges are a rip off and each time i have rung iv had to keep pressing loads of buttons to get through to an operator somewhere in japan because their system never works. i will be closing my topshop card as soon as i get my money back.
  • RobertTheBruce
    Options
    mentat72 wrote: »
    On Friday they blocked my debit card and didn't even tell me, so I had to spend 30 minutes on the phone today until I got someone that wanted to actually fix the problem rather than palm me off.

Will be switching current account in January.
    At 10p per minute phone calls to complain become expensive. Does anyone know if Santander get a cut of the phone charges?
    I waited 9 minutes once and didn't speak to anyone.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know if Santander get a cut of the phone charges?
    Oh yes! :mad:

You could try these customer services numbers: 0845 765 4321 or 08459 724724. Freefone alternatives for these: 0800 3899905 or 0800 1697903. Thanks www.saynoto0870.com. :)
  • Carrieking
    Options
    I got this late fee on my Asda store card and i was flumoxed too!! :mad:. But a cuple of days later i got a letter to confirm it was a mistake and my account and any interest would be refunded :beer: Cx
  • rogwhale
    Options
    Don't accept being put off when Santander get it wrong. Heres what happened to us. I have a joint account with my wife. She tried to pay for shopping on her new santander debit card and it was rejected. I therefore paid with another card. We got home and my wife rang to find out why the card was rejected only to fail the security question as her date of birth was wrong. She informed them that it hadn't changed in 50 years maybe their data base was wrong why not ask other security questions. Sorry can't do that your date of birth is wrong. Now my wife, unlike me, has the patience of a saint so she asked to speak to a manager. Sorry not possible so she hung up. No problem says I its a joint account I'll ring. Sorry can't speak to me either it seems both of us is suffering from altzheimers as I've forgotten my date of birth as well. The only way to resolve this is to go into a branch. So Monday I go into a branch. Very sympathetic see that both dates of birth are incorrect(luckily I took my passport so they couldn't argue) apparently according to card services card was rejected because pin was input incorrectly too many times. I informed them thaty it was only put in once. They would order a new pin. I accepted that and told them I wanted £100 to cover my time and my wifes embarrassment. I was told they had a mechanism re compensation and they would input what happened and let me know how much I would get. I would get a call that afternoon. Well that didn't happen and I had to revisit the branch on Wednesday. Another hour there to be told now that card services had no record of transaction. I then blew my stack and after some discussion with the branch manager got my £100 compensation. It would appear that branch managers can give £50 of their own back and regional managers can go higher. So don't bother on the phone go to the branch and demand compensation when they get it wrong. As far as getting a refund when incorrectly charged I would also expect to be compensated by the same amount as their charge and more if it wasn't automatic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure