Any experience of 'Moola' robo-investment?

Options

Comments

• Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Zorillo wrote: »
    Orbis are offering £100 introductory bonus on a £100 contribution, I'd look there rather than at this.

True, but this is only on s&s isas. Moola is available on GIA also.
  • Herbalus
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »

!!!!!!!!!! They are nowhere near the industry typical rates. This morning I completed a case with 0.33% and just starting one that is 1.3% (both all in for ongoing). That is full advice. DIY investors typically pay around 0.5-0.7% Some of these robo-advice sites really misrepresent the charges that are present elsewhere.

Ok, so everyone pays 0.75%. Thats in nice big text and clear to see. However, its not right. Expand the fee explanation (which is initially hidden) and it says:

So, its not 0.75%. Its now at 0.9%.

Why do these companies try and hide their charges and misrepresent others.

Forgive my ignorance. Is this in addition to the fund fee? I know platform is 0.75%, plus the 0.15-0.16% etf hidden fee, but I cant find if there is also a fund fee.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance. Is this in addition to the fund fee? I know platform is 0.75%, plus the 0.15-0.16% etf hidden fee, but I cant find if there is also a fund fee.

Its not a hidden ETF fee, since they tell you what it is, and the "fund" is the ETFs that make up your investment.
  • Herbalus
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Its not a hidden ETF fee, since they tell you what it is, and the "fund" is the ETFs that make up your investment.

Thanks. I meant the etf fee is relatively hidden (at the very bottom of the fee section behind some drop down menus and expandable tables). And it is deducted from the investment so does not appear as an identifiable charge. So not quite fully transparent I would say.

With other providers I am used to a platform fee and an OCF charge. Hargreaves Lansdown is 0.45% platform fee plus 0.22% ocf for a specific fund (which contains other funds) for example.

My question (which I think you answered) was whether Moola apply a clear 0.75% plus say 0.15% per etf, and then plus a fund fee for the management of the basket of etfs. Or, is the etf fee with moola the equivalent to an ocf?
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 510 Forumite
    Options
    Zorillo wrote: »
    Orbis are offering £100 introductory bonus on a £100 contribution, I'd look there rather than at this.

You could do both... Orbis' offer is limited to S&S ISA's but Moola's includes GIA's as well as ISA's.

Personally, have stuck with the Orbis offer for now rather than over-complicating things (1 for me; 1 for wife; 1 for daughter :D)
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks. I meant the etf fee is relatively hidden (at the very bottom of the fee section behind some drop down menus and expandable tables). And it is deducted from the investment so does not appear as an identifiable charge. So not quite fully transparent I would say.

With other providers I am used to a platform fee and an OCF charge. Hargreaves Lansdown is 0.45% platform fee plus 0.22% ocf for a specific fund (which contains other funds) for example.

My question (which I think you answered) was whether Moola apply a clear 0.75% plus say 0.15% per etf, and then plus a fund fee for the management of the basket of etfs. Or, is the etf fee with moola the equivalent to an ocf?

It isnt deducted from the investment. Its the fee the ETF charges within itself and it would be the same fee if you held that ETF via HL or iii or whoever.

There is no additional fee for the "basket of etfs" that is what their 0.75% fee is for, its the platform fee in the same way as HL have a platform fee of 0.45% fee, though more of course.

OTOH to buy £1200 of ETFs spread across several would be much more expensive with HL or iii or an IFA as there will be transaction charges to buy the ETFs, indeed whilst DunstonH says their fees are much less as a % and maybe they are, as an amount he isnt going to charge the £9 a month (or whatever it was) that moola would charge indeed he wouldnt be interested in someone saving £100/month.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 1:39PM
    Options
    Moola is available on GIA also.

Well spotted so we just applied for a Moola GIA for myself and wife so hopefully £250 payable by 30th April 2019. It's not clear if MSE/Moola are monitoring when the first 500 signups limit is reached?

Alex
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Options
    an extra cost, which seems to get overlooked, for robo-advisers who use ETFs, is the bid-offer spread, i.e. the difference between the prices for buying and selling shares in an ETF.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I have both a Moola and an Orbis "platform", can both be in my s&s ISA wrapper or are you only allowed one "platform"?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 April 2018 at 3:04PM
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    If I have both a Moola and an Orbis "platform", can both be in my s&s ISA wrapper or are you only allowed one "platform"?

Your S&S ISA contributions for this tax year needs to be with one provider but you could do the Orbis ISA offer and the Moola GIA offer. Moola defaults to ISA but there is a point early in the application process you can change to a GIA. At £100 per month it is highly unlikely that the Moola investment performance would cause you to pay tax anyway.

Alex
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure