Moving home - Advice on gas and electric supplier changes required

Options
indierocker85
indierocker85 Posts: 2,079 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 13 July 2018 at 11:38PM in Energy
Hi

I am currently with EON, on a fixed online tarriff as part of the MSE collective switch. When you buy a new house or move address, what is the usual procedure? Do you normally close the Eon account down, and start afresh with the new supplier at the new address, and then presumably switch to whoever is cheapest? Or, do you tell EON of the move and they switch you to that address and they become the new supplier there, and you carry on with the same tarrif?

Thanks in advance for any help
Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi

Do you normally close the Eon account down, and start afresh with the new supplier at the new address, and then presumably switch to whoever is cheapest?

Yes to the above. Read meters on last day, ring Eon. Ring existing supplier of the new property the day you move in.

No to the below - you cannot transfer suppliers from one property to another.

[/QUOTE]Or, do you tell EON of the move and they switch you to that address and they become the new supplier there, and you carry on with the same tarrif?

[/QUOTE]

Take photographs of the meters - read your meter regularly - give the readings to the suppliers - keep your own records - read and understand your bills.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi

I am currently with EON, on a fixed online tarriff as part of the MSE collective switch. When you buy a new house or move address, what is the usual procedure? Do you normally close the Eon account down, and start afresh with the new supplier at the new address, and then presumably switch to whoever is cheapest? Or, do you tell EON of the move and they switch you to that address and they become the new supplier there, and you carry on with the same tarrif?

I am in the same situation and, as it is energy supply that we are talking about, nothing is ever simple. My new build shows on the National Database as an address for electricity; a plot number for gas and an incorrect post code for both. SP, the Deemed Supplier, says that a tariff/account cannot be set up until the meters are properly registered and this could take some weeks. They also say that I cannot switch to the cheapest SP tariff whilst I am waiting for them to get their ducks in a row.

Looking at various options, my present supplier (Octopus) has advised that it is possible for them to takeover both the gas and electricity supplies at the property. They are using the correct MPAN and MPRNs, that I got from the developer, and the presently listed (incorrect) address information to initiate a switch. The transfers should go through two days after legal completion. If they are unsuccessful, then Octopus will update the Database when the transfers are complete. There is of course a big risk that SP will block the switches. This normally happens within the first 5 days after application to switch which is 8 days before we complete: so I have nothing to lose by trying.

My developer and I will agree opening readings, and they will supply SP with my details. I will back this up with a telephone call after we move in. This strategy may not work. Some of my soon to be neighbours have been waiting over 3 months for SP to get its act together. Fortunately, we are moving in the summer.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you Hengus for the info for when moving into a new-build property.

Is this always necessary ? There will be situations when the person wanting the supply has not got a present supplier.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Thank you Hengus for the info for when moving into a new-build property.

Is this always necessary ? There will be situations when the person wanting the supply has not got a present supplier.

I am not sure that it makes any difference whether it is an existing or new supplier. It comes down to how much they want your business. What I have concluded from my various searches is that it is necessary to find out the MPAN and MPRN first. This information is usually held by the developer. SP told me that it would be on the meter which it isn't.

It is also important to see what has been listed against the MPAN and MPRN. For example, when I first asked SP to check the database for my new gas meter, they told me that it wasn't on the database. It was only after I found out the MPRN and spoke to Octopus that they were (a) able to confirm that the meter is registered but (b) that the information against the listing is incorrect.

My guess is that some of my soon to be neighbours have been trying to set up an account with SP but not realising that some of the listed details on the database are incorrect; ie, there are trying to use the correct postal address and postcode which the system does not recognise.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hengus is correct, BUT

Check the terms and conditions of your current EoN tariff.

Some of them used to allow you to take your tariff with you to your new address but I don't know if they still do this.

If you do find it's allowed in the T&C's, be prepared to quote it to whoever you speak to and also get whoeveritis to read it on their screen while you are listening - quote term number to them.

That's if it's in the T&C so it's worth checking, but note that this may not be the case any longer.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

Good morning indierocker85,

That's right, when you move out of your property you will need to contact us, either by phone call, home moves form via the website, or live chat and we'll close the account for you and produce a final bill.

We'll need the date your responsibility for the property ended, the final meter reads taken on that day and your forwarding address.

If you'd like us to supply the new property (if we don't already) You'll need to contact the current supplier to set your account up, you can then come to us and we can arrange the switch for you.

Generally you can't take a tariff with you to a new property, but please do speak to the home moves guys when you move.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Generally you can't take a tariff with you to a new property
    Helena

Do you actually mean "you can't take a tariff with you to a new property" or do you mean "you cannot take an account with you to a new property"?

In my own recent personal experience of moving with Scottish Power the account for my old property was closed and a new account was opened for my new property. But both accounts were on the same tariff because that tariff was still available when I moved.

Or alternatively with E.on is an account and a tariff both one and the same?
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Do you actually mean "you can't take a tariff with you to a new property" or do you mean "you cannot take an account with you to a new property"?

In my own recent personal experience of moving with Scottish Power the account for my old property was closed and a new account was opened for my new property. But both accounts were on the same tariff because that tariff was still available when I moved.

Or alternatively with E.on is an account and a tariff both one and the same?

Morning Anthorn,

I mean taking the exact same tariff with you to a new house.

If we already supply the new house, we can open an account when the customer closes the old account, we'd need the address, start reads etc.

Or, if we don't supply the new house, as I say, we can arrange a switch when the customer has taken responsibility.

But tariff prices can vary depending on region. So they'll be different depending where you live, a customer may move in to a different region.

Sorry If I wasn't clear.

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure