IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CCJ from Gladstones passed to DCBL

Options
mhj03
mhj03 Posts: 16 Forumite
edited 22 February 2018 at 3:30PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me with some advice as to whether I'm likely to succeed with getting a judgement set aside.

I have been monitoring these forums for a while now, using them to help communicate with Gladstones Solicitors about a PCN received last March (2017). I have been through the whole process and after receiving court papers, I acknowledged the claim and then set about constructing my defence. Unfortunately I was stupid and left it too late to post, so attempted to send it via email to the court. Unfortunately the size of the attachment was too big for the court's email server and it didn't reach them. I received no auto-response (which I didn't realise I should have).

Anyway, I appealed to the court administration by email and a manager agreed to pass my file to a judge without application. This was to determine if they would go ahead and accept my defence. The judge ruled that because it was over the file limit, that it would not be accepted and the default in judgement would stand.

The default judgement was submitted on 22 December 2017. I received correspondence from the court on February 6 2018 that the judgement would stand. I have since begun proceedings to fill in an n244 form to have the judgement set aside.

Despite writing to Gladstones twice to tell them of my change of address, as well as letting the court know, all correspondence has continued to go to my previous address. The current owners have been forwarding it to me so I keep receiving stuff a little while after it gets sent. The most recent letter was from Direct Collections Bailiffs Limited titled 'Notice of Debt Recovery' stating that an extra £75 +VAT had been added to me total. It also says that failure to address within 14 days will result in my case being reviewed for legal recovery and such costs being added to the debt for recovery.

A little background to the case. Whoever was driving parked in a space at a retail park in Gloucester in what I can only assume was an unmarked bay (people park there all the time). The person driving pulled in after another car had left the same space. The parking company (Parking Control Management UK Ltd) have pictures as evidence over a space of 4 seconds (surely not long enough to satisfy the definition of being 'parked', let alone chance for someone to get out of the car and read their signs. Since the proceedings began, a large banner has now been erected in front of the spaces saying 'do not park here'. I have contacted Gladstones twice, based on advice on these forums detailing that they had not met the practice directions and pre-action protocols. I also advised them of my change of address but the keep corresponding to my old address.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice as to whether or not I'm likely to succeed with having the judgement set aside? I'm happy to post the defence I put together if anyone would like to see it. If I would have a good chance of having it set aside, it would also be handy if I could have some guidance on what to include with the application.

Thanks.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is the amount over £600. If not just ignore DCBL and press on with the Set Aside. DCBL are only looking for mugs - but they are looking like mugs after the Channel 5 court case.

Should I also change my sig to reflect people who acknowledge and don't defend?
  • mhj03
    Options
    The amount is not over £600, no. Yes, I suppose you could change your sig. I was all set to defend because I think I have a good chance of winning! Unfortunately it came at a busy time and as mentioned I didn't get time to complete it before posting. I saw on here about not submitted through MCOL as it ruined formatting etc and only allowed a certain amount of words or lines - hence the email. Hopefully not many people make the same mistake that I did!

Thanks for the advice!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Have you submitted your application for the set aside?

Did you request all enforcement to be put on hold pending the outcome of the application?

If so make sure that the claimant is aware!
  • mhj03
    Options
    I have yet to submit the set aside application. Everything is filled in on the form. The one thing I wasn't sure about was: alongside posting my defence with the application form, will it be a witness statement that I use to outline why the judgement should be set aside? Or do I just write in the box provided on the form?

Also, should I include any evidence (i.e pictures) with the application?
  • Quentin
    Options
    Advice on set aside is covered in the newbies faq thread (#2) along with links to recent threads etc

The claimant can start "proper" enforcement proceedings through court (eg bailiffs/attachment of earnings etc and all at your expense) at any time once they have won a ccj, so get this in asap (and add the request for a hold on enforcement till the outcome of the set aside application is known).
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2018 at 4:17PM
    Options
    Despite writing to Gladstones twice to tell them of my change of address, as well as letting the court know, all correspondence has continued to go to my previous address.

Complain immediately to the SRA

https://www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (who take hundreds of these cases to court, and nearly always lose), who have also been reported to the regulatory authority. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.[/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • mhj03
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Advice on set aside is covered in the newbies faq thread (#2) along with links to recent threads etc

The claimant can start "proper" enforcement proceedings through court (eg bailiffs/attachment of earnings etc and all at your expense) at any time once they have won a ccj, so get this in asap (and add the request for a hold on enforcement till the outcome of the set aside application is known).

Thank you Quentin. I will recheck the newbies thread and get on with the set aside. Would I add the request to the witness statement?
  • mhj03
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Despite writing to Gladstones twice to tell them of my change of address, as well as letting the court know, all correspondence has continued to go to my previous address.

Complain immediately to the SRA

Thank you, I will get on to this as well!
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    perhaps gladys is swopping letterer headed paper with DCBL

going rate is 3 x gladys = 1 DCBL

6 x WH = 2 gladys
  • Quentin
    Options
    mhj03 wrote: »
    ...Would I add the request to the witness statement?
    No - put it as a part of the initial application
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport