Tried unblocking sink but made it worse- time to call a plumber?

Options
So once again the internet has lied terribly and made a bad situation worse. :)

I’ve had a slow running bathroom sink for a while now and decided today to attempt to fix it again. I have previously tried shop bought sink unblocker, boiling water, vinegar, washing up liquid and one of those extended wires with a brush head you can manoeuvre about. None have worked.

So today I read multiple articles that suggested a combination of salt, baking soda and boiling water. Having attempted this the sink is now totally blocked with sitting water. :mad:

Any ideas or should I resign myself to paying for a professional?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you taken the u bend apart ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Whitefiver
    Options
    Hi,

Before you call anyone in, might just be worth trying a hot solution of Soda Crystals. Around £1 per Kg from e.g. Tesco, I believe.

Instructions are probably on the packet, but I use a couple of tablespoons of Soda in a pint of hot water (take care!), pour it down the plug hole, and leave for 10 minutes. Get as little as possible on any metalwork.

Follow up with a kettle of hot water.

One application usually works for my shower.

Hope that helps.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As Robin9 says, take the U-bend - could be a P-trap - off and clear that out then replace.

If it's gone so solid that you cannot clear it then buy another, they only cost a few quid from hardware shop or the likes of B&Q.

Remove any water from the sink first using a small cup or similar and put some towels or something underneath to catch what's left in the pipe when you remove the bend.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above, remove the u-bend. A couple of minutes with a bucket and you'll be done.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It can be the level pipe leading away from the u bend that's blocked , sometimes because of poor installation there's a slight drop in the level of the pipe towards the u bend and crap accumulation happens
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Working_Mum
    Options
    I had the same problem - i removed the U bend, cleaned it thoroughly (awful job) and replaced it - I have zero DIY plumbing skills so it's an easy job to do for a complete novice!!

Kept a cloth underneath the ubend for a few days as there was a slow drip but I just tightening it.
  • General_Applause
    Options
    Use a plunger. Remember to block the overflow whilst plunging.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    HG Duo drain unblocker. It's expensive, but cheaper than a plumber!
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One shot- if you can get your hands on it now.

https://shop.wessexcleaning.com/the-cheeky-panda
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you do get a plumber in, make sure you warn him about the rake of toxic stuff that might still be lingering in the pipes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure