Rebuild front porch

Options
The front porch on my house is obviously a DIY job. It's approx. 2.6m wide x 1m deep. Block-work low walls, windows above on all 3 sides, then tiled pitched roof.

I had the PVC windows and front door replaced about 5 years ago.

The trouble is, the foundations are no good and sink in dry weather. the block-work isn't tied in to the house either. So the block-work is moving away from the house, and also cracking up, and the PVC door frame is now bent out of shape.

To make repairs more complicated, the electricity and phone almost certainly run under it. The gas used to, but as the pipe was crushed, it was moved to a new meter box on the outside of the porch.

I have had trouble getting anyone to quote me for the work.

I now have one quote to repair the foundations and wall, and patch up other things as required - allowing for a new door frame. Also includes provision to have the gas disconnected while they do the repairs.

Total cost £6500. Given the complication, I was expecting it to be expensive, but not than much.

Any thoughts?
If it sticks, force it.
If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.

Comments

• basiluk
    basiluk Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry that I don't have the experience to judge this, but however difficult you have found it to get a quote, you really must get three quotes for this size of work. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure