Structural wall/electrics/removing kitchen

Options
Help! Been given a quote to knock out a structural wall etc to make our kitchen and dining room one room. The quote seems more than I’d thought, but as first time home owners (without any family or tradesy friends near by!) I don’t know if I was being optimistic! We are in a 30s semi in the SW.

Remove existing kitchen units and set up a temporary kitchen
Isolate any electrics or plumbing
Prepare area for accro props,install accro props.
Fit spreader plates/pad stones
Fit steel specified by structural engineer.
Remove the wall and accro props.
Plaster board opening and steel.
Make good floor between kitchen and dining room.
Install 2x double sockets, 5x downlights in kitchen and 6x downlights in dining area
Remove tiles
Strip wall paper from dining room walls and coving
Overboard ceilings and reinstate coving.

Quote is just shy of £7k and doesn’t include fitting the kitchen or any redecoration or tiling.

Obviously I’d be happy to strip the wallpaper myself and potentially go at the kitchen cupboards to get rid to save a few quid. But is this in the ballpark of reasonable?

Thank you!
House Fund: £2,800/£20,000 - 14%

Comments

• cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 December 2018 at 1:07AM
    Options
    Your job description involves multiple trades so it's not unreasonable to have high quote as your builder's fee include project managing, organising everything for you.

I think if you get more quotes there's a change you might find a under £5k price. If you are willing to project manage yourself, you can save more. Ask your builder to itemise the work he sub out, i.e the electrician and plasterer, possibly kitchen fitter too so that you can compare with other tradesman, or quote for just the structural work only and you can find a handy man or plasterer to do the remaining small job or making good.

If you aren't afraid of DIY, taking kitchen out and isolate electrics/plumbings is not hard at all, although the first bit might be a bit labour intensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure