halogen heater query

Options

Comments

• p3pp3r5
    Options
    Be very careful with these type of heaters.

A friend stood to close to one and was set on fire with life changing results.

Oil filled are much safer and they all cost the same to run.
  • IainMacca_2
    Options
    Agreed - be careful with these heaters - I just threw 2 out yesterday because the internal wiring had physically burned out.

I do use them but the cheap ones are a bit of a fire hazard imo.

Cheers
  • StarSwoop
    Options
    My current convector cost around £16 from Wickes in March but has had a few iffy episodes lately and finally croaked this morning (it was making fizzing noises and sparks by the bit that usually just flashes each time it clicks on), leaving me with only an equally cheap and recently purchased fan heater from them but not giving me any problems when on for some 6 hours a day.
    Thing is, i need something that is safe for overnight use and contiuous use on weekends/ Xmas etc. Oil sounds safest but i cannot carry one home and need one asap. What's safer for a small room with wooden floors during these hours? Another convector or a Halogen?
  • RobbieJ
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    With any type of electrical heater you get exactly the same amount of heat for the same running cost.

Actually, this is a good approximation, but it is not strictly accurate.

This statement would only be true if all electrical heaters were 100% efficient i.e. all the input electricity was directly converted into heat. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

For example, if an electric heater produces light, it uses some of the electrical input as energy to produce the light, this is an "overhead" that makes it less than 100% efficient.

Different methods of producing heat have different "overheads" and all electric heaters have their own particular "overhead" dependent upon their means and design.

If you still can't follow this, just think about lighting a room. Using the same argument, it should not matter what method you use to light the room - if you use the same amount of electrical input, you will get the same amount of illumination. This is just not correct. In the case of lighting, the difference between using different methods was so great that legislation has been passed to prohibit certain inefficient light bulbs in an effort aimed at reducing the UK's carbon footprint.
  • ilikecookies
    Options
    RobbieJ wrote: »

This statement would only be true if all electrical heaters were 100% efficient i.e. all the input electricity was directly converted into heat. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

For example, if an electric heater produces light, it uses some of the electrical input as energy to produce the light, this is an "overhead" that makes it less than 100% efficient.

Interesting point.

I've wondered how design factors into the equation too. I accept that in theory a 2kw oil-convection heater will cost the same to run as a 2kw halogen heater. However there are differences. For example I have two 2kw oil-convection heaters. They are different brands and different designs. I'm sure that one heats the room quicker than the other.

I assume design does have an impact on their efficiency. For example, a newer style single radiator with fins throws out more heat than a old-style single radiator which doesn't have fins.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Different methods of producing heat have different "overheads" and all electric heaters have their own particular "overhead" dependent upon their means and design.

If you still can't follow this, just think about lighting a room. Using the same argument, it should not matter what method you use to light the room - if you use the same amount of electrical input, you will get the same amount of illumination. This is just not correct. In the case of lighting, the difference between using different methods was so great that legislation has been passed to prohibit certain inefficient light bulbs in an effort aimed at reducing the UK's carbon footprint.
    All lamps produce heat and light. However, the light you see hits a surface and then the light energy converts into heat so they are 100% efficient at creating heat. They are inefficient in summer as heat is not wanted. In winter we need to use the central heating more to replace the lost heat so the savings you see on your electric bill aren't exactly the savings you get as more gas is used.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options

Fortunately it is the case and is absolutely accurate! Or at least a guy called Albert Einstein thought that it was the case.

The clue is that "Energy cannot be created or destroyed"!

All electrical heaters are 100% efficient.

Put ten 100watt lamps in a room and you will get exactly the same amount of heat as a 1kW heater of any type - including fan heaters; even if the fan was using 50 watts.

If your PC and monitor are using, say, 200watts, that produces as much heat as an electrical heater using 200 watts.

The reason for legislation on lighting is that the purpose of light ing is just that - to provide light! In many cases the heat produced by lighting is a by-product and just not required - i.e. in summer or when heat is provided by cheaper means e.g. gas.

If you can't follow this;) where to you think the electrical energy from the lights goes?
  • RobbieJ
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    ... Or at least a guy called Albert Einstein thought that it was the case.

The clue is that "Energy cannot be created or destroyed"!...

Correct, but there is a whole electromagnetic spectrum of energy.
  • RobbieJ
    Options
    Love the avatar, HappyMJ
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Interesting point.

I've wondered how design factors into the equation too. I accept that in theory a 2kw oil-convection heater will cost the same to run as a 2kw halogen heater. However there are differences. For example I have two 2kw oil-convection heaters. They are different brands and different designs. I'm sure that one heats the room quicker than the other.

I assume design does have an impact on their efficiency. For example, a newer style single radiator with fins throws out more heat than a old-style single radiator which doesn't have fins.

You mustn't confuse efficiency with effectiveness.

Both of your 2kW heaters will produce exactly the same amount of heat from the electrical energy they consume; so are both 100% efficient.

However it is perfectly possible that one heater(with the fins) dissipates heat better than the other and thus is more effective at producing heat initially.

However assuming that they have both consumed, say, 1kWh, then after power is switched off, the heater without fins will remain warmer, and thus still dissipating heat after the other heater is cold.

The point being that they both will have produced the same amount of heat for the 1kWh consumed.

A more graphic comparison would be a fan convector heater which produces almost instant heat, but no residual heat; and compare this with a oil filled radiator that is slower to produce heat(as the oil is being warmed) but has residual heat.

Again for 1kWh consumed both produce exactly the same amount of heat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure