New broadband provider before moving house

Options
Hi,

My BT broadband/phone contract expired mid Feb and so now I'm paying £20/m+ more than I was. £31 to £52.50

This is obviously a ridiculous amount of money! We also pay them £9/m for bt sports and £18/m for 2 mobile phone contracts. So circa £80/m in total.

The issue is that our house is currently on the market and I wanted to take the move as an opportunity to consider other options as I'd quite like sky sports and I think we were paying more than we needed for fibre anyway. The house move could take 4/5 months or a lot longer (viewings are slow!) so I don't want to keep paying £80/m to BT - so my question is - If I recontract with BT will they charge me early cancellation fees if I choose to leave at point of moving instead of taking my BT contract with me?

OR am I better to examine my options now (though I won't know if there are better options in the new location) and take whatever provider I choose with me?

Presumably I can keep my mobiles with BT even if I cancel the rest? The hassle of changing that puts me off!

Thanks in advance for all thoughts/advice!

Comments

• Croft12
    Croft12 Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi,

My BT broadband/phone contract expired mid Feb and so now I'm paying £20/m+ more than I was. £31 to £52.50

This is obviously a ridiculous amount of money! We also pay them £9/m for bt sports and £18/m for 2 mobile phone contracts. So circa £80/m in total.

The issue is that our house is currently on the market and I wanted to take the move as an opportunity to consider other options as I'd quite like sky sports and I think we were paying more than we needed for fibre anyway. The house move could take 4/5 months or a lot longer (viewings are slow!) so I don't want to keep paying £80/m to BT - so my question is - If I recontract with BT will they charge me early cancellation fees if I choose to leave at point of moving instead of taking my BT contract with me?

OR am I better to examine my options now (though I won't know if there are better options in the new location) and take whatever provider I choose with me?

Presumably I can keep my mobiles with BT even if I cancel the rest? The hassle of changing that puts me off!

Thanks in advance for all thoughts/advice!

Their best deals are 18mo contract - you'd pay a lot less than £80 you ought to be able to get a good deal with that combo. If you move somewhere with no bt they will let you out free afaik - if you can get bt its a fee.

Given you don't know how long it might take to move you might be better to just to renew with bt -> move -> then work out if a new ISP will be worth the exit fee (if charged). Or just wait for the deal to expire and swap then.

You could sign up a rolling contract with some isps but frankly the hastle/package features loss/change might not be worth it
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

>>Did you not renegoitiate contract ??Or are you paying standard monthly no contract price ??>

This is obviously a ridiculous amount of money! We also pay them £9/m for bt sports

>Thats the going price for BT Sports >Sky Sports does not have the same as Bt Sport >

recontract with BT will they charge me early cancellation fees if I choose to leave at point of moving instead of taking my BT contract with me?

<yes the full term contract has to be paid .
    If you move and take BT with you it has no cancellation fees but does start a new contract >

OR am I better to examine my options now (
    < Do both price up now move ISP and be prepared to pay off the contract , if they do not supply knew property .>

< Yes but i believe you lose the discounts >

Key here is what you want regarding the sports .

Negotiate with BT on the threat of moving ISP ( they dont need to know about house move )

Up until today i had

BT advanced line rental paid circa £200 ( non refundable if cancelling )
    + Up to 52 meg BB at £3 pm + Max TV package with free BT Sports HD at £15 pm
    Total of circa £36 pm .

Note BT have a price rise due March 2020 this may give a get out free no penalty on existing contracts .
    May as i am not sure on Ofcom rules on preplanned increases .
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,968 Forumite
    Options
    so my question is - If I recontract with BT will they charge me early cancellation fees if I choose to leave at point of moving instead of taking my BT contract with me?
    Yes they will. Moving house does not erase the minimum term you agreed to.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • bhughes1986
    bhughes1986 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

We are moving house later this month. Currently, all of the Sky, broadband, energy, etc. accounts are in my sole name.

Is it possible to terminate the contracts we currently have, and then set up new accounts in my wife's name once we have moved? Thus being able to get the 'new customer' deals and potentially some cashback from quidco.

The bank account for the direct debit would likely stay as-is, so I'm wondering if this would provide the companies with the 'tell' they need to be able to link the old account to any new account.

Grateful for your thoughts.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    First thing to check is are you out of minimum term with all of them?
  • bhughes1986
    bhughes1986 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    First thing to check is are you out of minimum term with all of them?

Yes - it has worked out quite well in that respect. Ideally we would want to terminate 'my' account and then open a new account for 'her'.

Interested to know if anybody has done this.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 June 2019 at 7:00PM
    Options
    Yes - it has worked out quite well in that respect. Ideally we would want to terminate 'my' account and then open a new account for 'her'.

Interested to know if anybody has done this.

Haven't done it but I don't see why it wouldn't work as your wife will be a new customer.

Don't forget you can use the cashback sites to get cashback.

Its something Ill be doing myself actually albeit I leave Virgin 1 month and then I rejoin a month or 2 later.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Move and you are a new customer .
  • Paulm86
    Options
    A friend is possibly going to move house soon and is wanting to switch broadband providers, Virgin are charging a silly amount out of contract. Does anyone know which broadband providers might be best (least costs incurred) if a house move could be in the next couple of months or some time in the next year? Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Paulm86 wrote: »
    A friend is possibly going to move house soon and is wanting to switch broadband providers, Virgin are charging a silly amount out of contract. Does anyone know which broadband providers might be best (least costs incurred) if a house move could be in the next couple of months or some time in the next year? Thanks

If it is just a couple of months I'd stick with Virgin myself (unless they can tether on a suitable mobile plan).

Plusnet do a monthly ADSL deal
    from £23.99 a month for the first 12 months, from £31.48 a month thereafter, No annual contract, £50.00 activation fee applies.

The drop from Virgin to ADSL probably isn't worth whatever savings you'd make.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure