PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Wow Laura, I'm not sure if I would have the patience to do all that! However, I have just been given a lovely wrap dress in jersey fabric, brand-new. It fits me everywhere except across the bust. Despite having lost weight I still have what the French call "a crowd on the balcony", and always will have, standard dresses don't fit me. Now I'm wondering if I could add some plain navy to the crossover edges to make it fit ... I must remember the various UFOs I have on hand, and be realistic. You're very inspiring!

Go for it!

I have the 42" back and shoulders of an Olympic swimmer, and the bust of someone with a 34" back... so anything that fits my front means I can't move my arms, and anything that fits my back hangs off me at the front...! Add to that extra-long arms and legs, and you can see why I started making my own clothes - nothing ever has fitted me, when I was lean and lithe or now I'm plump! :)

I think the dress-adapting won't be that difficult or long - I did pin the excess ties onto the bust a year or so back and it worked perfectly for adapting it to fit me (it's also alarmingly low-cut, so it makes me feel rather more decent!); the waist-sash is dead simple; the halterneck adaptation I've done before so won't be difficult... the only bit I've not done is extending the length by adding a wide stripe above the hem - and the only thing I'll need to calculate there is the flare of the skirt and whether that might cause a problem with a lower hem 'needing' to be longer in terms of hem-length than the current one is. I doubt there's any seam allowance to speak of! But I can cobble something... it's amazing what the eye doesn't see when there are brightly-coloured bits nearby! :)
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Please miss, may I curl up in a corner with my knitting?

Work is up in the air a bit and, after 2 months of travelling to the West Country, I’m home bound for a while. I’m a bit bored and, while I have some things to finish up, I’m basically twiddling my thumbs until the next stage of the project commences. I’ve realised that when I’m like this, I seek comfort in knitting, talk of knitting and wool. I’ve been browsing Ravelry with a vengeance - it’s sad that their once-active discussion boards have all gone quiet. (I blame FB.). I’ve purchased some patterns and bookmarked others.

Also, I’ve finally spent last birthday’s gift vouchers - on 10 balls of lace weight BFL from Blacker - and I’m trying hard not to purchase anything else. As mentioned before, I think purchases made with gift vouchers should come from the gifter’s coupons. The only reason my MIL didn’t buy me actual BFL - bluefaced Leicester wool - for my birthday last year was because Blacker were out of stock. As a group are we OK with that idea?

Anyway, I’m out of sorts and would appreciate a knitting session with a crafty friend or two, preferably with a dog asleep by my feet and a cat curled up next to me.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 June 2019 at 8:11PM
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Please miss, may I curl up in a corner with my knitting?

Of course you may! Would you like another biscuit with that mug of cocoa?

I’ve been browsing Ravelry with a vengeance - it’s sad that their once-active discussion boards have all gone quiet. (I blame FB.).

Not all of them! :) Try the Chocolate Teapot... mildly bonkers, but very lovely people...

Also, I’ve finally spent last birthday’s gift vouchers - on 10 balls of lace weight BFL from Blacker - and I’m trying hard not to purchase anything else. As mentioned before, I think purchases made with gift vouchers should come from the gifter’s coupons. The only reason my MIL didn’t buy me actual BFL - bluefaced Leicester wool - for my birthday last year was because Blacker were out of stock. As a group are we OK with that idea?

Absolutely fine by me!

Anyway, I’m out of sorts and would appreciate a knitting session with a crafty friend or two, preferably with a dog asleep by my feet and a cat curled up next to me.

- Pip

There's that lovely, lovely bit at the end of the Silence of the Lambs book, completely ignored by most readers, where Clarice Starling has survived all kinds of things, and it's late autumn or winter, and she's completely strung-out and wrung-out, and the chap from the Museum simply tells her that his extended family are all spending a few days at a big old family house somewhere remote on a lake, where people will be company or leave you alone as you like, and you can just help yourself to a kitchen full of food, and there are hundreds of books "and enough dogs for everyone to have one on their feet"...

He doesn't mention knitting, but I'm pretty sure a house like that would have big armchairs by the fire just right for knitting in.

EDIT: I actually went and dug it out - it's the final chapter:

""So what did Pilcher say on the phone?" Mapp said, leaning against the landing gear.
    "He and his sister have this place on the Chesapeake."
    "Yeah, and?"
    "His sister's there with her kids and dogs and maybe her husband."
    "So?"
    "They're in one end of the house--- it's a big old dump on the water they inherited from his grandmother."
    "Cut to the chase."
    "Pilch has the other end of the house. Next weekend, he wants us to go. Lots of rooms, he says. 'As many rooms as anybody might need,' I believe is the way he put it. His sister would call and invite me, he said."
    "No kidding. I didn't know people did that anymore."
    "He did this nice scenario--- no hassles, bundle up and walk on the beach, come in and there's a fire going, dogs jump all over you with their big sandy paws."
    "Idyllic, umm-humm, big sandy paws, go on."
    "It's kind of much, considering we've never had a date, even. He claims it's best to sleep with two or three big dogs when it gets really cold. He says they've got, enough dogs for everybody to have a couple."
    "Pilcher's setting you up for the old dog-suit trick, you snapped to that didn't you?"
    "He claims to be a good cook. His sister says he is."
    "Oh, she called already."
    "Yep."
    "How'd she sound?"
    "Okay. Sounded like she was in the other end of the house."
    "What did you tell her?"
    "I said, 'Yes, thank you very much,' is what I said."
    "Good," Mapp said. "That's very good. Eat some crabs. Grab Pilcher, and smooch him on his face, go wild."
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    Of course you may! Would you like another biscuit with that mug of cocoa?

Yes, please. Please join me.
    Not all of them! :) Try the Chocolate Teapot... mildly bonkers, but very lovely people...

Will do.
    There's that lovely, lovely bit at the end of the Silence of the Lambs book, completely ignored by most readers, where Clarice Starling has survived all kinds of things, and it's late autumn or winter, and she's completely strung-out and wrung-out, and the chap from the Museum simply tells her that his extended family are all spending a few days at a big old family house somewhere remote on a lake, where people will be company or leave you alone as you like, and you can just help yourself to a kitchen full of food, and there are hundreds of books "and enough dogs for everyone to have one on their feet"...

He doesn't mention knitting, but I'm pretty sure a house like that would have big armchairs by the fire just right for knitting in.

EDIT: I actually went and dug it out - it's the final chapter:

""So what did Pilcher say on the phone?" Mapp said, leaning against the landing gear.
    "He and his sister have this place on the Chesapeake."
    "Yeah, and?"
    "His sister's there with her kids and dogs and maybe her husband."
    "So?"
    "They're in one end of the house--- it's a big old dump on the water they inherited from his grandmother."
    "Cut to the chase."
    "Pilch has the other end of the house. Next weekend, he wants us to go. Lots of rooms, he says. 'As many rooms as anybody might need,' I believe is the way he put it. His sister would call and invite me, he said."
    "No kidding. I didn't know people did that anymore."
    "He did this nice scenario--- no hassles, bundle up and walk on the beach, come in and there's a fire going, dogs jump all over you with their big sandy paws."
    "Idyllic, umm-humm, big sandy paws, go on."
    "It's kind of much, considering we've never had a date, even. He claims it's best to sleep with two or three big dogs when it gets really cold. He says they've got, enough dogs for everybody to have a couple."
    "Pilcher's setting you up for the old dog-suit trick, you snapped to that didn't you?"
    "He claims to be a good cook. His sister says he is."
    "Oh, she called already."
    "Yep."
    "How'd she sound?"
    "Okay. Sounded like she was in the other end of the house."
    "What did you tell her?"
    "I said, 'Yes, thank you very much,' is what I said."
    "Good," Mapp said. "That's very good. Eat some crabs. Grab Pilcher, and smooch him on his face, go wild."

That is a lovely story. I must admit that I’m one of those readers who’d forgotten that epilogue. Thank you for quoting it. It is perfect.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's the ONLY bit of the entire story that stayed with me!

Well, that and the memory of the time I read it. One Easter holiday at university when I was the single, solitary, lone occupant of my entire block of Halls of Residence.

That was a very very very very very long scary night of endlessly shrieking silently WHAT-WAS-THAT?????? at every tiny noise :D:D

I don't read scary books any more :D

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I've never read the book, the film was so scary I didn't fancy it. However that does sound lovely. Just what you need when you're a bit washed-out and fed up.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • getmyacttogether2016
    Options
    Laura

I wish I could sew like you but my skills are not that great. I would have no idea how to upcycle and change garments like you have described but can follow a pattern to an extent. (Get stuck, re-read a dozen or so times and then hopefully understand what it is asking for).
    Once you’ve redrafted your dress you must let us see.

Pip

Curling up in the corner with knitting sound lovely and especially if you’ve a fire going (weather has chilled here so fire put on just to take the chill off).

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    It's the ONLY bit of the entire story that stayed with me!

Well, that and the memory of the time I read it. One Easter holiday at university when I was the single, solitary, lone occupant of my entire block of Halls of Residence.

That was a very very very very very long scary night of endlessly shrieking silently WHAT-WAS-THAT?????? at every tiny noise :D:D

I don't read scary books any more :D

Me neither. I avoid horror films, too.

How did you end up staying at Uni over Easter? You must have felt very lonely.
    I've never read the book, the film was so scary I didn't fancy it. However that does sound lovely. Just what you need when you're a bit washed-out and fed up.

Most of the book is a standard thriller and not too scary, or I wouldn't have read it. The film is much scarier.
    Laura

I wish I could sew like you but my skills are not that great. I would have no idea how to upcycle and change garments like you have described but can follow a pattern to an extent. (Get stuck, re-read a dozen or so times and then hopefully understand what it is asking for).
    Once you’ve redrafted your dress you must let us see.

I'm in awe of Laura's sewing skills, too.

Pip

Curling up in the corner with knitting sound lovely and especially if you’ve a fire going (weather has chilled here so fire put on just to take the chill off).

GMAT

I have visions of a library, with several comfy chairs arranged around a woodfire stove, a dog asleep on the rug in front of the fire and a cat curled up beside its knitting human. (Can't knit with a cat on your lap.)

My vision of heaven.

- Pip

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I have visions of a library, with several comfy chairs arranged around a woodfire stove, a dog asleep on the rug in front of the fire and a cat curled up beside its knitting human. (Can't knit with a cat on your lap.)

My vision of heaven.

- Pip

Can't knit with cat on your lap? You're just not trying... :D

Not a great pic, but here is my late cat, back in about 2012 or so, helping me knit boot-socks... (jumper knitted by a very talented friend, not by me!)

398132_10151637365099606_1570299352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_eui2=AeEsFcZ4oqcV2OZbd4JeiQworax2fhdnrXSPp8I1PH-HrXY31n5xtiSkRBUc0k7mWbYsj8USJKSRUh--6V5pE-yZRZ4X76NEwlUgS2leo9tZAg&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-2.fna&oh=a433f92104d6e15d7131e21a289d2f5c&oe=5D9303C9

• PipneyJane
    Options
    Can't knit with cat on your lap? You're just not trying... :D

Not a great pic, but here is my late cat, back in about 2012 or so, helping me knit boot-socks... (jumper knitted by a very talented friend, not by me!)

398132_10151637365099606_1570299352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_eui2=AeEsFcZ4oqcV2OZbd4JeiQworax2fhdnrXSPp8I1PH-HrXY31n5xtiSkRBUc0k7mWbYsj8USJKSRUh--6V5pE-yZRZ4X76NEwlUgS2leo9tZAg&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-2.fna&oh=a433f92104d6e15d7131e21a289d2f5c&oe=5D9303C9

Awww.....

My one-and-only cat, Pushkins, used the "it's the knitting or me" tactic. She'd sit on the knitting, making it impossible to knit, until you gave up and stroked her.

The dogs were easier. They preferred to curl up beside you or to sit with their head on your knee. Puddles would eventually fall asleep in that position and you'd end up with full weight-of-dog pushing against your leg until gravity took over and he fell off.

- Pip (I want another dog...)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure