Refused by Universal Credit

Options
brief outline of my situation.

I've been living in the UK (EU national) since 2006 working/self employed on and off.
My last employment was 2010-2013 - left job due to having my second child and employer moving abroad after my maternity leave finished.
Since then I was stay at home mum looking after two kids (born here in 2009 and 2012) and living with self-employed husband (also EU national) claiming Tax Credits.

My situation suddenly changed a month ago when me and my husband decided to separate and go ahead with divorce.
I notified all relevant agencies together with HMRC not wanting to claim as a couple anymore.
Due to big change of circumstances and us being in full service area I was advised to apply for UC as single claimant.
Made a new claim on 2nd of July and began job search on full speed but just today my claim got refused with a letter and here is a quote

' We're writing to tell you that you're not entitled to Universal Credit. This is because we have decided that you are a jobseeker. For Universal Credit purposes you have a right to reside as a qualified person as defined in Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2016 but that right is excluded for the purposes of awarding Universal Credit.

This means that you are a person who must be treated as not in Great Britain. Therefore, you do not have any entitlement to Universal Credit at this time.

If your circumstances change, you can make a new claim to Universal credit.' quote ended

apparently I failed habitual residence test
so ... Got kinda left on the 'unknown' ground atm as I will be struggling to meet ends being a single mother of two with bills to pay.

I got a job offer and it should start in the next few weeks just not sure if or when will that change my UC entitlement.

Hoping to get CAB appointment this week but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family