Average student spending - can you beat it?

Options
124»

Comments

• Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    because single flat rents = £350/pcmand up + full payment of utility bills.
    It's just a silly option for a student but some students (mature and postgrads) like the privacy.

+ bear in mind, if the government owned the digs there'd be no need for students to get into debt imo via Student loans.

Of course that's a pipe dream but it's true, given how the proportion of student loan paid to private landlords in rent. The proportion is very high.

I don't think the tax paid by landlords really outweighs this saving.

Of course there's nothing the government can do about it beyond regulating the market heavily, but they don't even do that in the slightest anyway imo.
  • Haize
    Haize Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I have to say, I think that the student loan amount is quite sensible... *depending on where you are*. If it covers your rent plus food during the term time, then you can get a job in the summer to cover luxuries and summer rent if you can't get a place without it. In Leeds, this is definately true - there are enough houses out there where you can pay sensible rent amounts, it just limits you to those more than 2 minutes walk from uni!

However, I feel for anyone who can't get assistance from their parents but is studying somewhere that the rent is not so well regulated. Leeds and Bradford have an organisation called UNIPOL which, although sometimes a little silly, must help keep the prices down. UNIPOL is a charitable organisation, I think.

An interesting point is that an entire 3 bedroomed semi council house in my home town costs £60 per week to rent, but that is less than some students pay for one tiny room in an overcrowded damp terrace in the Leeds studenty areas.

Out of interest, are students unable to rent a council house?
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think you are specifically excluded, but you usually have to be on the waiting list somewhere for a long time unless you are particularly vulnerable for some reason.

so unless you go to uni in a place you have lived in for a long tme and been on the waiting list, you wouldn't be likely to get one. particularly since the majority of students would rank very low as priority people to house. similarly with housing association accommodation.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Haize wrote:
    Out of interest, are students unable to rent a council house?
    crana999 wrote:
    I don't think you are specifically excluded, but you usually have to be on the waiting list somewhere for a long time unless you are particularly vulnerable for some reason.

so unless you go to uni in a place you have lived in for a long tme and been on the waiting list, you wouldn't be likely to get one. particularly since the majority of students would rank very low as priority people to house. similarly with housing association accommodation.
    This is basically true, but I believe there are situations in which the local council will let out properties short term to people like students, and so will some housing associations. Normally this will be because the properties are scheduled for demolition or major refurbishment but not for a few months. If the last tenant has moved out, then a new long-term tenant won't be moved in, but the property may be let out on a short-term contract just to stop the place being wrecked by vandals. As you'll realise, these are rarely highly desirable properties in sought after areas...

Also bear in mind that council and housing association properties are normally unfurnished, which adds to the initial cost of renting one.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Phonix
    Phonix Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bradford

Trouble is , Bradford is one of the worst places to live in the country so that's no surprise.
  • jimclark1967
    Options
    Phonix wrote:
    Trouble is , Bradford is one of the worst places to live in the country so that's no surprise.

Charming :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport