Options
2»

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rodders53 wrote: »
    You missed the bit where I said it was a poorly designed/installed system then?:eek:

I gave my experience as a warning to the OP. Getting UFH design/installs right is not a simple matter from what I've read (and know).:(

I merely said ours was the polar opposite experience. We installed ours ourselves - and in our holiday cottages - so from what I've done, I can say that it is a simple matter....
    aj9648 wrote: »
    Sorry to bring this thread up again but I’m looking at wet UFH system for our extension in the kitchen and living area. This maybe a silly question but do you still need rads if you have UFH. We are hoping to put down a seamless resin flooring or karndean LVT flooring down.

Thanks ��

The whole point of UFH is that it is under the floor. Do you want rads too? We have rads (ladder rads in bathrooms and ensuites) but no you don't need them and we merely have the ladders as towel warmers.

Can your extension be serviced from it's own boiler or will it need a new one?
  • aj9648
    aj9648 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I merely said ours was the polar opposite experience. We installed ours ourselves - and in our holiday cottages - so from what I've done, I can say that it is a simple matter....

The whole point of UFH is that it is under the floor. Do you want rads too? We have rads (ladder rads in bathrooms and ensuites) but no you don't need them and we merely have the ladders as towel warmers.

Can your extension be serviced from it's own boiler or will it need a new one?

It will be served by the current boiler
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    aj9648 wrote: »
    It will be served by the current boiler

Then you need to think how you will get it to the extension. Is a new extension yet to be built or a current one?

UFH manifolds look ugly and consist of a lot of pipes feeding from the boiler.

Is the extension one room or more, single storey or more? Sorry don't mean to be asking so many questions but it's difficult to understand what you have/don't have and any issues that may occur. Our barn and cottages were all complete renovations - therefore easy to plan as far as the UFH was concerned.
  • aj9648
    aj9648 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Then you need to think how you will get it to the extension. Is a new extension yet to be built or a current one?

UFH manifolds look ugly and consist of a lot of pipes feeding from the boiler.

Is the extension one room or more, single storey or more? Sorry don't mean to be asking so many questions but it's difficult to understand what you have/don't have and any issues that may occur. Our barn and cottages were all complete renovations - therefore easy to plan as far as the UFH was concerned.

It’s a new extension still to be built. Was due to start next month but now pushed back to 2020. It’s a single storey extension serving kitchen and extended living area. I can’t remember the square footage which I guess would be more helpful!!
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    No square footage isn't relevant for me! What you need to work out is how you get the UFH serviced from your current boiler location to the new extension. Are they in close proximity, the boiler and the extension?
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There are only two pipes required from the boiler to the manifold, this manifold would ideally be situated centrally to the rooms being connected to it, you need to get a drawing showing the rooms & sizes & the boiler & manifold position & give this to your installer so he can get it sent off to whichever ufh company you are thinking of using
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No square footage isn't relevant for me!

It might not be relevant for you but it certainly is one of the most important things for working out the layout & costings
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    It might not be relevant for you but it certainly is one of the most important things for working out the layout & costings

As maybe, but I don't know the ins and outs of working out the layout for this extension or the cost, so that's why my comment was thus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure