Options
13»

Comments

• MrBrindle
    MrBrindle Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    rob7475 wrote: »
    If you can get 5k for it, I'd be tempted to take it. I've been to two main dealers in the past week or so with mine. One offered 4700 but eventually went to 5k. The other offered between 4600 and 5400 depending on condition when the checked it out.

If you're trading in against brand new, there may be a bit more wiggle room. I was looking at cars that are 6 month old.

If your mechanic does come back with a diagnosis and estimate of cost to repair could you let me know how much it is? I'm still undecided whether to trade mine in or get it repaired.

I doubt we'd get 5k now, especially with this clutch problem. I'm sure a dealership will find that out before pricing up!

I've been nagging him since Monday for a price! He's pretty busy because he's one of the best non-dealership mechanics around, just frustrating waiting around.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    MrBrindle wrote: »
    We were told this by a friend, I do it to see sometimes, I think it may help, but haven't noticed a drastic change in performance.
    Try putting it in to gear but keep the clutch pedal on the floor. Does the car stall as though the pedal has been slowly released?
  • MrBrindle
    Options
    Try putting it in to gear but keep the clutch pedal on the floor. Does the car stall as though the pedal has been slowly released?

Hi Norman, hmm, not really, it bites hard around an inch off the floor.
  • MrBrindle
    Options
    rob7475 wrote: »
    If you can get 5k for it, I'd be tempted to take it. I've been to two main dealers in the past week or so with mine. One offered 4700 but eventually went to 5k. The other offered between 4600 and 5400 depending on condition when the checked it out.

If you're trading in against brand new, there may be a bit more wiggle room. I was looking at cars that are 6 month old.

If your mechanic does come back with a diagnosis and estimate of cost to repair could you let me know how much it is? I'm still undecided whether to trade mine in or get it repaired.

The mechanic rang me earlier, it's booked in for Tuesday and Wednesday. He's given me a figure of £120 inv VAT for the clutch and a ball park figure of around £200-£300 for labour. He looked up the clutch details for ix35 and it doesn't require a fly wheel apparently, which would cost a lot extra like motorguy said.

I'll let you know what the full diagnosis is though.
  • rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 856 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it’s only struggling into certain gears be prepared for the clutch replacement not to fix the issue.

The dealer tried telling me it was clutch wear and Hyundai UK agreed with me that clutch wear wouldnt just affect certain gears. They made the dealer strip the gearbox and found damaged synchros
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The OP describes difficulty in selecting 1st, 2nd and reverse. That, and the pedal biting close to the floor, is completely consistent with a clutch failing to disengage properly. Not a cheap job, but not the end of the world.

I haven't heard of the synchro rings wearing in a modern car except at huge mileages, so I think you have just been unlucky.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 856 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Richard53 wrote: »
    The OP describes difficulty in selecting 1st, 2nd and reverse. That, and the pedal biting close to the floor, is completely consistent with a clutch failing to disengage properly. Not a cheap job, but not the end of the world.

I haven't heard of the synchro rings wearing in a modern car except at huge mileages, so I think you have just been unlucky.

I'd agree with you about synchro rings not wearing in modern cars. I'd not heard of the issue in a modern car before I owned a Hyundai. Reading the forums though, gearboxes are a fairly common issue on various Hyundai models.
  • MrBrindle
    Options
    Had the clutch done last week, £360 inc VAT. Happy with that price. All good so far, except for 1st gear which won't engage sometimes - putting it into 2nd and then 1st solves the issue. So there may be something going on with 1st.

Reverse all sorted though which was the important bit.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MrBrindle wrote: »
    All good so far, except for 1st gear which won't engage sometimes - putting it into 2nd and then 1st solves the issue. So there may be something going on with 1st.

Reverse all sorted though which was the important bit.

To be fair, I have driven countless cars in the 70s and 80s where you had to get 2nd before you could go into 1st. All had sound clutches and gearboxes, it was just 'one of those things'.

And reverse always crunched, no matter how careful you were. "They are all like that, Sir."
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure