Hastings Direct - Cancelled Policy Frustration

Options
I signed up for Hastings Direct on the 18th May 2019 via a Direct Debit agreement.

I was informed the Direct Debit agreement was wrong in the subsequent days (letter dated 21st, arrived 23rd May).

I contacted my bank to find out why this had occurred. They couldn't confirm or deny why, but suggested they hadn't updated their Direct Debit database.

I tried to log on to resolve, as also instructed per SMS and e-mail, to which the functionality on their website wasn't sufficient to complete this.

I tried on two other occasions to call to resolve. Issues with the phone cutting out meant I frustratedly left the process alone.

On the 3rd June, I rang Hastings, made a payment in lieu of setting up a direct debit, saying I would endeavour to resolve before the end of the week (7th June).

On the 6th June, I received an e-mail informing me of a cancellation. I assumed it was wrong - didn't bother to phone, as I am generally frustrated by their service.

I got a letter yesterday (13th June) dated 7th June informing. I logged on to their service to find out they had cancelled the agreement and I had incurred £71 of charges.

My frustration is that I had rung, informed them that I needed time to resolve the Direct Debit process and also made a payment.

I have spent over an hour on the phone with them today - to no avail - they need the original call with the Call Agent before they can process.

I've never experience such short shrift and swift cancellation because a direct debit wasn't in place (well, it was, it just didn't setup correctly and I didn't want to setup another, without being sure).

Any help or advice on how I can proceed would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Whenever you are not happy with your insurance company the route to go down is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are not happy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you

Unless and until you get this cancellation removed you must disclose the cancellation to other insurers you go to for cover
  • enjoycoca
    enjoycoca Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that.

It is extremely frustrating that they are able to sit behind so much process, yet seemingly call their own process to manage customers. Something as serious as a cancellation needs a phone call IMO. I've been driving uninsured putting myself, daughter, partner others at liability, which I am extremely angry at. It has now been escalated as a complaint.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    enjoycoca wrote: »
    I've been driving uninsured putting myself, daughter, partner others at liability, which I am extremely angry at. It has now been escalated as a complaint.

Being fair they've probably decided that the costs of dealing with you aren't worth it and if it's dragged on 2-3 weeks then you're not putting much effort behind resolving it. Paying in full on 3rd June might have salvaged it but probably too late now
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why contact Hastings to check they had your correct bank details for the DD?
    Call them (Hastings) immediately to get this sorted.

Who or what is Resolve? How is that going to sort out the direct debit?
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    One of the major T&C’s of a DD policy with HD is that a live Direct Debit is in place. Unfortunately without this then the policy cancels automatically.
    They don’t ring you because they send out numerous other indications that the policy is going to cancel!!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure