PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a House that HAD Japanese Knotweed

Options
13»

Comments

• cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't pull out on a maybe. Recent research has suggested knotweed is not the threat it has been painted as and the mood is towards downgrading as a threat. It has never destroyed a building with a foundation as far as I know (can damage garden walls and sheds), and it *is* controllable - we lived in a place with a small stand and got rid of it ourselves over the course a few years with glyphosphate.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Original post was from last December.

Expect a decision was made. Would be interesting to know if they walked or bought though I suppose...
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Original post was from last December.

Yes, it is the most recent knotweed post.
  • MarionM
    MarionM Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 April 2019 at 9:46AM
    Options
    Hi folks. We are about to buy a house where the owner said on the property form that there wasn’t J Knotweed present, but the next door property has it, and they have been treating it for a few years.The house we are buying is quite a long way from their boundary so we weren’t too worried .

The neighbour has now told us the property we want does have it and he has seen the owner cutting JK and throwing it over the hedge into his property. He blames his JK invasion on our house owner.

He says he is going to sue the new owner for damages of around £10,000.

Our owner vacated the property several months ago and the neighbour probably doesn’t know where they have gone.

Can the neighbour sue US for something that happened (if it’s true) before we bought the house? I wouldn’t have thought so.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MarionM wrote: »
    Hi folks. We are about to buy a house where the owner said on the property form that there wasn’t J Knotweed present, but the next door property has it, and they have been treating it for a few years.The house we are buying is quite a long way from their boundary so we weren’t too worried .

The neighbour has now told us the property we want does have it and he has seen the owner cutting JK and throwing it over the hedge into his property. He blames his JK invasion on our house owner.

He says he is going to sue the new owner for damages of around £10,000.

Our owner vacated the property several months ago and the neighbour probably doesn’t know where they have gone.

Can the neighbour sue US for something that happened (if it’s true) before we bought the house? I wouldn’t have thought so.

Have you exchanged? If not walk away, couldn't be dealing with the hassle of it all.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A question for your solicitor I would have thought.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, they can't sue you, and it's all bluster anyway, because to successfully sue one has to suffer a loss, and there's none.

At least you know that the neighbour wants rid of it; it's the neighbours who don't care who can be a problem.

Treating JK is a matter of understanding the life cycle and being conscientiously persistent. Anyone sensible can do it, but lenders usually require professional treatment backed by insurance. However, if the lender doesn't know....

You've met the neighbour and we haven't. Question is, are they as daft as they sound? Never mind the knotweed, do you want to live next door, albeit at some distance?
  • MarionM
    Options
    Yes I think it probably is all bluster. Maybe caught the neighbour on a bad day because he was ok before. My solicitor hasn’t come across this scenario before but doesn’t see how we can be liable for a previous owners (possible) wrongdoing.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MarionM wrote: »
    Yes I think it probably is all bluster. Maybe caught the neighbour on a bad day because he was ok before. My solicitor hasn’t come across this scenario before but doesn’t see how we can be liable for a previous owners (possible) wrongdoing.

Sounds like it could all be a lie to me, Next he will be saying 'lets just settle it now for 10k' or to his no fee lawyer in a years time You have infected his garden!
  • GB01
    GB01 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone direct me to the original post decision please? Can't seem to find it!

We are in a similar situation, knotweed been found previously but seller had had a professional company in treating it since 2017 and paid for a 5 year guarantee to be in place (until 2023). Seller has agreed to upgrade to 10 year guarantee and pay for the guarantee to be put into our names.
    JK is present on neighbours property (apparently treating with weedkiller...) and neighbours backing onto THEM, not us. Seller has written to both offering the professional services who said they will deal with it at a reduced price but not had responses so we can assume nothing is truly being done, but i know its not illegal.
    I can't help but feel a little put out, as we weren't made aware until we received the conveyancing pack so our offer didn't take this into account, it was already 10% under asking - but I think that's just estate agents trying their luck with ridiculous asking prices. However, we are FTBs and are slowly understanding this is rarely a smooth process. I'm happy with the company she had in, they are frequently quoted on JK articles.
    Obviously i know this is a personal decision as it's our money but am i being naive in thinking all is ok?
    We are on a tight budget and can only get flats for the same price in the same area...but again that is not a reason to go ahead.
    Solicitor says 'it's London, knotweed is everywhere some people don't think its a big deal but others do'
    Surveyor says 'its a risk'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport