Unfair default from Vodafone on credit report

Options
Hi,

I have recently been trying to obtain a mortgage as my growing family needs a bigger house, unfortunately due to a Vodafone default on my account from 3 years ago I am struggling..
The account is now fully satisfied and would of been instantly if the advisors I was talking to at the time, within Vodafone had of done what they said they would... Is there anyway I can get this rectified ?, as i believe the debt was not paid promptly due to no fault of my own !

Many thanks
Dan

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 September 2017 at 6:03PM
    Options
    If you didn't pay a bill you owed then the default registered is an accurate reporting of the facts. Whilst you can ask if they would remove it they are under no obligation to do. Removing defaults just because the debtor pays the debt 1-2-3-4 years later on would completely undermine the reason for credit records.

Ultimately whilst you may feel the debt wasn't paid promptly due to no fault of your own the bill is due on the date on the bill and paying any later is down to you.
  • Yimmywild
    Yimmywild Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 12 September 2017 at 8:44PM
    Options
    I offered to pay the bill at the time it occurred, well set up a method of paying the bill, to which they replied, "the relevant people will be back in touch to do this".

This never happened so again I contacted them, at that time because I had cancelled my contract with them, they somehow lost any info they had on me.. So I was told once this had been rectified they would be back in touch.. I tried several times to pay to no avail, because of the lack of info they had. The next thing I knew I had a debt collection agency contacting me for the money a year later.

So i admit the debt is my fault, but it would of been payed promptly if not for errors on there end.
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A Vodafone rep posts on here. Do a search and message them
  • Yimmywild
    Options
    Thanks Car, unfortunately the Vodafone account on here doesn't allow private messages.

Nightmare this is ��
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Dan

You could raise a complaint with Vodafone about what has happened. Usually companies keep information about you for 6 years so it’s possible they might be able to find something on what happened and what you were advised.

You may also want to try a subject access request where they have to provide all information they hold on you in 40 days, but be aware they can charge you a £10 fee if they choose to. An easy way to go through the complaints process (including referring to the correct Ombudsman) is by using the Resolver website here https://www.resolver.co.uk/.

If it’s accepted the reason you couldn’t pay was Vodafone’s fault they could remove the default. Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Dan,

I'm sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the level of service you've previously received.

So I can look into this further for you, email me via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check I've received it.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Dribiddi
    Options
    I had a similar issue with Vodafone where they couldn't locate my account details (something about it being on an old system and not all of their agents being trained on it.)
    Was a bit of a headache, eventually after multiple attempts I got the information I needed but was a headache - all so I could give them money lol.
    I get a 20% discount from Vodafone because of the company I work for and I still don't deal with them, hear nothing but bad things about their processes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure