Lufthansa sues passenger for not taking last leg of flight booking

Options
2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Personally I can't see sue for what? The flight was paid for so the airline did not lose out - so who did? The passenger?

Unless I'm missing somebody - now if somebody sued the airlines for over booking flights??
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Personally I can't see sue for what? The flight was paid for so the airline did not lose out - so who did? The passenger?

Unless I'm missing somebody - now if somebody sued the airlines for over booking flights??

If you read the linked article you must have missed this bit:

'At the centre of the issue is that passengers will pay a premium for non-stop flights.'
    'For example, a test booking made by The Independent for travel from Moscow to Paris CDG for September 2019 found a fare of £217. But a ticket using the same flight to the French capital but with an onward connection to Heathrow was only £72, less than one-third of the price.'

So while a non-stop to Heathrow is expensive a two-leg is far cheaper. But the pricing policy assumes both legs are used.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Duckyduck
    Options
    Passengers paying a premium for non stop flights provides a commercial rationale for the price discrepancy. But legally it falls apart as the airline haven’t lost out as a result of the final leg not being used. The court sided with the passenger the first time, will be interesting to see the result of the appeal, and if successful what the legal basis was.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,370 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 February 2019 at 10:10AM
    Options
    Interesting test case - I've not been aware of this scenario before.

The drawback to this form of route manipulation for the passenger is the baggage issue - hold luggage might be automatically transferred to the final leg flight, depending on that airline's standard procedures. In which case a flight would not take off with checked luggage onboard but no passenger - with ensuing drama.

Fine if you have cabin bag only.

Also repeat "no show" passengers might be identified and red flagged for future non direct flight reservations.
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    Depends upon whether you believe the T&C's of a ticket you purchase should be enforceable. This is a well known technique for significantly reducing flight costs, and for long haul flights many people will, for example, take an economy short haul as a "positioning flight", to then take a long-haul in business class - e.g. position to CDG, and then fly CDG-LHR-SYD. Even with the positioning flight taken in to account, the total cost can be drastically lower than just taking LHR-SYD. Absolutely no issue in the eyes of the airline, but the expectation is that you then, on your return, go SYD-LHR-CDG, and have to use a return positioning flight to get back to LHR. If you drop that final CDG leg, you are in breach of your ticket conditions. As a one-off, not likely to be enforced; but there are many people that regularly do this and that's getting the airlines' backs up.

Reminds me (in a small way) of the person that got taken to court because they bought one business class fully-changeable ticket, and simply used the lounge each day (and then changed the ticket) without ever flying.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've not been aware of this scenario before.
    Look up "Hidden City Ticketing" and you'll see how widespread it is.
    The drawback to this form of route manipulation for the passenger is the baggage issue - hold luggage might be automatically transferred to the final leg flight, depending on that airline's standard procedures.
    Another issue occurs when there are weather, mechanical etc issues causing cancellation or delay.
    To use the cities in CardinalWolsey's example, if the passengers SYD-LHR flight was affected, the airline might route them to CDG via another airport entirely. No way to get off at LHR then.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    The flight delay scenario did not immediately cross my mind, thanks for the heads up - and the HCT.
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Question:
    For those that miss the last leg, but book the seats via an agent (netlfights / lastminute.com / travelup, etc etc )
    Because there booking is direct with a broker/agent , am guessing it means the airline wouldn't chase up ?

I remember reading something a while back about those who book direct with the airlines, and miss the last leg, were black-flagged by the airline.......
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 February 2019 at 6:42PM
    Options
    If you book through an agent, the risk is the agent receives a demand from the airline for the loss, however, they have to show the agent knew or indeed was selling the ticket knowing the customer did not intend to travel on the last sector. It is not just airlines where this applies, from my local station to St Pancras the day return fare at peak time is now £76, but if I buy a ticket to Luton or Hatfield which requires me to go through the exit barrier at the station to get to the next train, I save nearly £25. With no disrespect to Luton, I have no desire to go there at all but my pocket is full of tickets to somewhere I never go but also full of the money I have saved. I think few judges could find a reason to charge me more to travel a shorter distance but if Lufthansa succeeds, there are going to thousands of very unhappy travellers worldwide.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Isn't this similar same as the charges Ferry/ Eurotunnel have levied on people booking day trips but staying longer?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4858180
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure