Contacting E Bay when item is faulty but under guarantee how d

Options
How do I contact E Bay, when an item I purchase through them has become faulty but is still under guarantee. I purchased this item under 6 months ago and when It was purchased it stated a 5 year guarantee, I have tried contacting the seller 3 times but have had no response so I need E Bay to intervene.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,285 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ZakkyCole wrote: »
    How do I contact E Bay, when an item I purchase through them has become faulty but is still under guarantee. I purchased this item under 6 months ago and when It was purchased it stated a 5 year guarantee, I have tried contacting the seller 3 times but have had no response so I need E Bay to intervene.

it is far too late for ebay to intervene and assist you, all you can do is try and track down the company, find their registered address and use small claims to enforce the guarantee.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • That seems to be unfair . If you purchase goods in a shop and is under guarantee they will honour it. Surely E Bay should be aware when someone selling on their does not honour the guarantee that was part of the sale agreement. I would have thought it was incumbent on them to contact the seller warning them if they do not honour their advertised guarantee they may not be able to continue as a seller on E Bay
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That seems to be unfair . If you purchase goods in a shop and is under guarantee they will honour it.

If it is a rertailer guarentee. Most guarantee/warantys tend to be manufacturer ones.

Of course it is up to you whihc you want to claim on.

It would be no different though any site that prevodes third party sellers (eg amazon). They would not help after a point and you would have to go to the company direct. They did not sell you anything. If they could they would stop helping right away, but then no one would use them. Maybe this builds up an unreasonable expectation of future help to some?
  • soolin
    Options
    That seems to be unfair . If you purchase goods in a shop and is under guarantee they will honour it. Surely E Bay should be aware when someone selling on their does not honour the guarantee that was part of the sale agreement. I would have thought it was incumbent on them to contact the seller warning them if they do not honour their advertised guarantee they may not be able to continue as a seller on E Bay

If you buy something in a shop and the shop ignores you you don't have the option of complaining to the freeholder of the shop and expecting them to help. Ebay is a selling platform, the contract is between seller and buyer so OP needs to use legal means to enforce a guarantee if that guarantee formed part of the contract.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • BH246
    BH246 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    It seems to me that E Bay are opting out of any reonsibilty .You would think they would at least contact the seller whose adverts they accept on behalf of the buyer pointing out the guarantee advertised on their site
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could open a Paypal case.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • soolin
    Options
    You could open a Paypal case.

Paypal do not enforce warranties. buyer would have to show item was not as described or broken on arrival. Even if paypal do find for the buyer the buyer will have to pay to have the item returned tracked and insured.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if this were me i would contact the manufacturer of the item. The shop on ebay didnt actually manufacture the item presumably.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    I have tried contacting the seller 3 times but have had no response
    Did you try phoning the seller, or contacting them outside of eBay?
    If your message sent through eBay to the seller contains anything like:
    -a postal address
    -phone number
    -your contact details
    or anything else that looks like the above, the seller could get into big trouble with eBay if they reply to your message. EBay is not helpful to sellers when they need to provide customer service after the purchase.
    If I were you I would contact the seller outside of eBay and explain you want to claim on the guarantee. If they won't answer your calls or reply to your emails, send them a letter via registered post. Your recourse is the same as if you bought from any shop, eBay is irrelevant to the situation at this point. Did you receive any paperwork relating to the guarantee?
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you register for this guarantee? Most manufactures insist you register for long warranties.

Ebay sellers usually sell grey imports that manufactures don't recognise anyway so there is more than a fair chance it's not covered.

Contact the manufacture, they will be the ones who deal with warranties. Only they can tell you if it's covered or not.

As for Ebay, they are not a retailer, they only bring the buyers and sellers together for a fee. They have no legal obligation to you beyond their original claim time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure