Posting EBay Item To Alternative Address

Options
I have sold an item on eBay earlier today and packaged item ready to post tomorrow morning. The buyer has messaged me asking to post it to another address and sent me a screenshot of both her addresses supposedly from eBay account although doesn’t say it is eBay.
PayPal states it must be posted to address on invoice or no protection and eBay give this advice

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/postage-delivery/changing-delivery-address-purchase?id=4028&st=3&pos=2&query=Changing%20your%20delivery%20address%20after%20a%20purchase&intent=Posting%20item%20to%20different%20address&context=9010_BUYER&lucenceai=lucenceai

Am I just being too ‘by the book’, it wasn’t an expensive item (less than £10 including postage)?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you post to an alternative address you will not be covered for anything on PayPal. The important thing is that you won't be able to defend even a simple 'fraudulent use of a card' claim. Ultimately it's up to you though to assess your comfort level on a lower value item.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have been asked to post to a different address before.

I pointed out that I was only supposed to post to the address given.

The buyer was ok and understood.

Personally, I would never post to a different address no matter how much the item was.
  • Emmaaar22
    Options
    My ebay account was hacked a few months back. The hacker brought a iphone and sent the seller messages asking him to send it to his address other than mine...

There was no messages from the seller asking him why or anything he just sent the phone.

In the end I got my £300 back, The hacker got a brand new phone and the seller is £300 down and a phone short. Who`s the loser now then?

So if you don`t wanna be in that predicament, Send it to the address given in the first place.
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products
  • Luckystar
    Luckystar Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses, makes me feel that I am doing the right thing replying to say it will be posted to the address on eBay and PayPal invoice and not just being awkward.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't just post it to the address on Paypal without first asking the buyer if they prefer to cancel the sale and re-purchase using the correct address.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I never send to another address as I am not prortected. I contact the seller and explain why. Then give them the option of cancelling the sale and re-purchase, at checkout enter the correct address. or leave it as is and send to the ebay address.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But then if they have already paid, they cancel and then you refund you will get hit with the paypal fee.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    But then if they have already paid, they cancel and then you refund you will get hit with the paypal fee.

I think most would take a 30p fee over a total loss and possible chargeback fee on top.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure