PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Could I get a mortgage?

Options
im only 20, I earn 13k a year. I've seen some nice flats near me going for around 43k. I have 3 k that I owe on credit cards and a further 2.5k left on car finance. my credit cards are 0% btw.

Would anyone lend to me? I dont have much of a deposit maybe scrape together
1k. am i being unrealistic?

Comments

• p3gg
    p3gg Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking at your basic figures I don't see why not (not that I'm an expert mind). From personal experience I have found Moneyextra Mortgages to be an excellent broker company. You can search via this link:

http://www.moneyextra.com/compare/mortgages/

We've found their customer service to be excellent, nothing too much trouble, all the time in the world for you on the phone and a named person to deal with.

(Btw, no pressure at all, but if you would like me to refer you send me a private message before contacting them. As an existing customer I'll send your name, address & tel. in and they'll contact you. Some Marks & Specers vouchers in it for me I think. No worries if you want to go straight ahead and fill out a full online enquiry without a referral. The main thing is you get your feet on the ladder if hte moment is right for you. Good luck!)
  • asot
    asot Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Based on your salary and the price of the property alone there are companies who would be prepared to loan to you, but i'm not sure whether your debt will have any impact.
  • BrightonLad
    Options
    You should also think of the cost of buying a house... solictors fees could be up to about £1000 for your purchase.
    You may want to think about speaking to an independent mortgage advisors, i find them to be really useful and mine does all the running around and phone calls on my behalf when the purchase is going through. even arranged for free quote for damp and timber survey to be done to satisfy one mortgage offer. Some mortgage advisors charge you, this could be up to around £500 in my experience, usually based on a percentage of the amount of loan they are arranging. you could find one for less, and others are free, but i'm not sure if they are truly independent. I'm sure someone could correct me if i'm wrong, and perhaps give other recommendations.
    A lot mortgage companies charge an arrangement fee. again this varies could be up to £350ish.
    I wish you really good luck in getting onto the property ladder, i think its one of the best things you can do! Keep us informed as to how it goes...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure