Does selling a 1p item on Ebay cost me 30p?

Options
2»

Comments

• wishuponastar
    Options
    Thanks all, I didn't realise the Paypal fixed fee would still be charged to me even if the item sold for 1p! So good job I checked with everyone.

I don't really think the micro paypal thing is for me as I use it really infrequently but still good to know, thanks.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    Facebook Marketplace is free to advertise (you can advertise them with a sale price or as free), I'm not sure about Gumtree and Preloved but they may be worth investigating. There's also Freecycle for giving away.

Good ideas, thanks. I'll check them out.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    If you want to sell, don't sell or set the price whereby you lose money, that is crazy.

The fee is 30p on a standard PayPal account - this is the fee that is non refundable. QUOTE]

I agree it is crazy to set the price where I'd lose money, that's what I want to avoid and why I thought to check here about the 30p PP fee.

I thought maybe if someone were practically giving an item away at 0.01 (because ebay don't allow to list for 0.00) then maybe there would be some kind of threshold where PP doesn't charge that fixed portion if the 'sale price' is less than it, but apparently not. Good job I asked you guys before listing the free items on Ebay, i'll look into the other sites that have been suggested for the free things. Thanks.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    Since they raised the fees to 30p, I have sold many items at a loss, because I list them for 99p + £1 postage.

These items are all worth exactly £1, so if they only get one bid, I would break even under the old system (I have hundreds of old stamps bought at 52p). Now I lose 9p per sale.

However I keep doing this because the alternative to selling is to scrap the item, whereupon I get my £1 back but the item is destroyed.

If people are willing to pay £1.99 for an item worth £1, then I'd rather let them have it even if I make a loss, buyers all seem to be very pleased with their purchase given their feedback (I don't understand why, but I am happy to make other people happy).

If I list the item at £1.09 or I set the postage at £1.10, nobody bids. This way once in a while two buyers will get into a bidding war and it sells for £2 or £3.

I can't be bothered with a micro account.

Top-rated business sellers can sell the same item for £4 or £5 every time, and I don't understand whether it's some sort of shill bidding or whether some people are really so stupid that they don't know how to find the same item from the tens of other private sellers who are also selling it at a loss (some people list for 99p plus the actual 61p postage).

Probably the most bizarre post I have read on a money saving forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure