Full / partial integral garage conversion

Options
Just looking for advice now how to proceed with an integral garage conversion. The house is a 2005 build. Many houses on the estate have done something similar.

The garage is fully insulated on the outer wall, however I'm not sure what damp proof course is underneath the floor, if any. It currently houses the boiler and washing machine.

We are either thinking of doing a full conversion, with windows in place of the door, or doing half the garage to use as storage, leaving the front as storage for gardening stuff and bikes etc.

There is a fire door leading from the kitchen into the garage. With either way of doing it, can we remove the fire door so it's just a walk in room after it's done?

We are planning on getting building regs/control involved so it's done properly without any issue cropping up if we sell in the future.

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's quite simple stuff.

How many parking spaces do you have, excluding the garage? Some new builds don't have the permitted development rights to convert the garage as it counts as one of the required parking spaces. If you have enough parking, or room to create more, it shouldn't be an issue but it might be worth contacting the planning department just to check that you have full 'permitted development rights'.

A new damp proof membrane will be laid on the floor before the insulation, the actual building will have a damp proof course already.

A garage conversion is a pretty simple job. You can remove the fire door when you're finished as long as your house is two storeys, not three.

Have a look at your neighbours' conversions and see how different builders have approached the brickwork. By far the best way is to 'tooth out' the bricks at the side of the garage door opening and incorporate the new brickwork into the existing. It makes the conversion look more original. Lots of builders just brick up the hole on the cheap. A good brick match is imperative.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • MrBrindle
    MrBrindle Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    It's quite simple stuff.

How many parking spaces do you have, excluding the garage? Some new builds don't have the permitted development rights to convert the garage as it counts as one of the required parking spaces. If you have enough parking, or room to create more, it shouldn't be an issue but it might be worth contacting the planning department just to check that you have full 'permitted development rights'.

A new damp proof membrane will be laid on the floor before the insulation, the actual building will have a damp proof course already.

A garage conversion is a pretty simple job. You can remove the fire door when you're finished as long as your house is two storeys, not three.

Have a look at your neighbours' conversions and see how different builders have approached the brickwork. By far the best way is to 'tooth out' the bricks at the side of the garage door opening and incorporate the new brickwork into the existing. It makes the conversion look more original. Lots of builders just brick up the hole on the cheap. A good brick match is imperative.

Hi Doozergirl, thanks for the advice again! You probably think I'm a bit daft thinking of converting the garage after my thoughts on the house in other thread!

We have space for 2 cars outside at the moment, we are on the end of a shared driveaway, but with the possibility of creating another one if we flatten some shrubs in front of the house. Other houses on the estate have done something similar.

One house two houses up as just put a full width window in and used what I imagine a wooden frame and upvc fascias underneath. Not the prettiest, but does the job.

However you've got me thinking now in regards to the permitted developments rights and permission! Maybe I'll speak to neighbours first to see how they've gone about it.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    My main life experience is building and mental health :o. I don't think you're daft. It's great that you're trying to settle already and even though you said you weren't motivated to get work done, it only takes one small step at a time. Taking ownership and making it yours does help.

If your neighbours have all done it and you have some spare space it does sound like it's probably permitted development. Even planning isn't a major problem, just time and a bit of expense.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrBrindle wrote: »
    However you've got me thinking now in regards to the permitted developments rights and permission! Maybe I'll speak to neighbours first to see how they've gone about it.
    You really ought to check with the Council before going too far with your plans. Speaking to the neighbours might just give you the incorrect assumptions they made in the same situation - although if they tell you PD rights have been removed it would be useful information.

You should also check to see if there are any covenants (from the deeds) or other planning restrictions (from the planning consent) restricting what you can do. Converting garden into car parking space is also restricted in many cases - adding an extra parking space may throw up more challenges than the garage conversion itself.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • MrBrindle
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    You really ought to check with the Council before going too far with your plans. Speaking to the neighbours might just give you the incorrect assumptions they made in the same situation - although if they tell you PD rights have been removed it would be useful information.

You should also check to see if there are any covenants (from the deeds) or other planning restrictions (from the planning consent) restricting what you can do. Converting garden into car parking space is also restricted in many cases - adding an extra parking space may throw up more challenges than the garage conversion itself.

Thanks for the advice.

Should we just go ahead and do the partial conversion anyway then, and if we do decide to sell, we can just take it out? We really want to do something with the garage as I don't see the point of having such a space myself, but then if it's a flat out no from the council we'll be on their radar!
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

Should we just go ahead and do the partial conversion anyway then, and if we do decide to sell, we can just take it out? We really want to do something with the garage as I don't see the point of having such a space myself, but then if it's a flat out no from the council we'll be on their radar!

It is nothing to worry about. You just need to check with them. It should be the matter of an email. Then you'll have a reply, then you can think about the next stage. Do that for us and we'll help you move forward.

Our aim here is to have a proper conversion that adds value to your home. Let's stick with that as the focus before even considering doing it the wrong way.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    It is nothing to worry about. You just need to check with them. It should be the matter of an email. Then you'll have a reply, then you can think about the next stage. Do that for us and we'll help you move forward.

Our aim here is to have a proper conversion that adds value to your home. Let's stick with that as the focus before even considering doing it the wrong way.

100% agree, it is just a case of identifying the things you need to check and tick them off the list. :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • MrBrindle
    Options
    The council have confirmed we don't need planning permission for the garage conversion, but do require building regs. I imagine this makes things simpler?

How does building regs work? Do we have to pay for an application or something?

My friend who will be doing the works (he's actually building two houses himself) said don't bother with building regs! I don't think we'll take his advice, as we want the job done properly.
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This is a thread by a friend of mine that did a great job with this garage conversion, building regs may have changed since then so be aware of that but he documents every step and makes his costings available, again few years ago so add a few % but its a very useful indicator.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/integral-garage-conversion.1481801/

It looks a lot better now than it does in the thread with the decals he originally had up. Proper tip top job he did of the whole thing on a shoestring budget.

Take the building regs option. If you sell, it will come up in the survey and people will chance you to knock cash off for the 'risk' and the room will likely be less safe/insulated as a result.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    The council have confirmed we don't need planning permission for the garage conversion, but do require building regs. I imagine this makes things simpler?

How does building regs work? Do we have to pay for an application or something?

My friend who will be doing the works (he's actually building two houses himself) said don't bother with building regs! I don't think we'll take his advice, as we want the job done properly.

Yes, there is a fee.

Oh dear to your friend :(.

It will come up when you sell and you do want the best for yourselves anyway.

There are two options. One is fullplans where you get an architect (or technician) to draw up the specification and submit plans to be approved. The other is Building Notice where you have no plans but site inspections to check that things are progressing correctly.

Your choice. Has your friend given you a price? Be careful of using friends, especially if they want to do it on the cheap. They might think they're doing you a favour but integrity is everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure