Real life MMD: Cat has licked our food, should we eat it?

Options

Comments

• kevwright
    Options
    And don't get me on to the old chestnut (true) about the shockingly high percentage of men who don't wash their hands after going to the toilet. Who wants to eat those peanuts in a dish at the bar, or even a buffet now?!.

See I don't get this one, almost invariably my willy is MUCH cleaner than my hands :D

Kev
    Waddle you do eh?
  • moneysavingkitten
    Options
    tenuissent wrote: »
    Reminds me of my first husband trying to make me stop the cat jumping on the draining board to get out of the kitchen window. You can't train a cat, though I tried. One day after cat had shot out of the window yet again, he pointed to white specks on the draining board and said "There you are!!! Tapeworm segments!!!! Disgusting and dangerous, I'm going to get rid of the cats!" I said "I promise you they are not tapeworm segments, look......" and popped some of them into my mouth. Near collapse of husband (a vet). He hadn't noticed I was draining some rice, so I was 99% sure the specks were spilled rice.

Thanks hilarious. You have made my day, thank you :)
    So so SO tired of being ripped off, and mislead
    Hope sharing saves some pain.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'd say have a good hack at the parts she may have touched then put it in the oven for another 5 minutes.

Tell your partner he can go without if he wants to.
  • Tittch
    Tittch Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    The cat has only licked the exposed sides of the meat. If you trimmed away a thin slice all round, then the meat below would be absolutely uncontaminated. But if your cat is regularly treated for worms (as it should be for the animal's own wellbeing) then you should have little to worry about.:j

Good common sense! Just trim it and serve it. (and give the cat a good talking to)
    I'm free from tampons - another Mooncup Convert!

I :heartsmilFreecycle

I'm not going to have internet access from 24th July until 16th August.
    Have a lovely summer!
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't understand why you would even need to ask!

Throw it away!!!

Why do people allow their pets into their kitchens anyway? It amazes me that they are able to be so oblivious to the hygeine implications of it. I see pet owners who are more than happy for their cats to re-enter the home via the kitchen window and walk over the draining board and work tops - even to lick the taps for the water droplets or worse, the washing up bowl! I wont even mention what happens in some bathrooms!

Pets do not have human's health and hygeine routines - keep them away from things that are going to go into your mouth!
  • joehoover
    Options
    I can't believe the people who say they have trained their cat to not go on the worktops, mine won't go when I am there, a stern warning is enough, but I am sure she dances on them when I am out. I just wipe down with anti bactuieral spray before I prepare my dinner every night, something that should be done anyway if you had no cat as food residue would harbour more germs and attract mice anyway.

I would just cut away any meat she has licked, I'm sure it won't harm you but it's not gonna contaminate a whole joint in seconds is it.

Also how does your cat get into your butter, I leave my butter out but use a butter dish with a lid
  • williamro
    Options
    Put meat back in a hot oven for 5 minutes then enjoy. It would not be disaster to eat without reheating - as you would have done had you not caught the cat in the act.

Do not keep cats if you cannot deal with this.
  • boombap
    boombap Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with JoeHoover - cats are far more clever than you think and anyone who says cat's don't go on the worktops are kidding themselves - the cats just learn to keep off them when the owners are about.

My cats have the run of the house which means they can sleep on our bed on or the worktop - wherever takes their fancy. And yes, they do lick my food but I don't let it bother me. A few germs are good for you - I have far less colds each year than the fussy germ fearers.

S.
  • VinceNoir
    Options
    Cook it for another hour, that should kill off any germs.

If it's a lamb shoulder, another hour at will just make it even nicer.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cat has licked our food, should we eat it?
    it depends where the cats mouth has been before................. uuuurrrrrrrrrrrrghh
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family