MoneySaving tips for disabled people

Options

Comments

• wheeligr8
    Options
    If you're in receipt of dwp benefits, you can ask your energy supplier for this benefit, it's usually just the big suppliers that offer it. The benefit is £140 towards your electricity account and now is about the time to ask.
  • Rory_OConnor
    Options
    The Sunflower Lanyard indicates to others that the wearer may need additional assistance, time etc whilst travelling, via airports, trans etc, with or without careers. Works well throughout the EU, search Web for Sunflower Lanyard.
    Free at many outlets.

ROC
  • Deborah_Mary
    Options
    If you need to phone an organization but cannot hear or speak clearly, you can use the free Next Generation Text app. https://www.ngts.org.uk/ A trained Relay Assistant will speak as you type, and type as the person you're calling speaks. The Relay Assistants are as helpful as can be. Highly recommended.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.bemyeyes.com/

Be My Eyes is a free app that connects blind and low-vision people with sighted volunteers and company representatives for visual assistance through a live video call
  • Doreeny
    Options
    Lots of posts on e.bay invite you to inspect and try wheelchairs and electric mobility scooters before purchasing. Makes sense as these are larger items usually collected.
  • zekeymg
    Options
    I have a disabled 10 year old daughter. She attends a special school in Sheffield. I work in the family services for the same charity.
    I’ve been working on a resource list for families in South Yorkshire with disabled children and young adults. It contains information such as national charities, grants, equipment as well as local information.
    Here’s the link-

.pacessheffield.org.uk/befriendingservice/resources/

hope it helps a few families on the forum too.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wheeligr8 wrote: »
    If you're in receipt of dwp benefits, you can ask your energy supplier for this benefit, it's usually just the big suppliers that offer it. The benefit is £140 towards your electricity

account and now is about the time to ask.

You also must have a combined income below £16,190 gross !
  • gingerbreadmen
    Options
    Doreeny wrote: »
    Lots of posts on e.bay invite you to inspect and try wheelchairs and electric mobility scooters before purchasing. Makes sense as these are larger items usually collected.
    But unfortunately against ebay rules
  • psouth
    psouth Posts: 23 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My local Fire brigade fit smoke alarms for free. On their last visit I was offered an additional alarm in the bedroom which has a flashing light, louder sound and vibrates the bed. This is because I am hearing impaired and my OH and I take medication which makes us drowsy.
  • joycejim
    Options
    I cannot work out how to post something new, so will just add here... Blue badge holders do not have to pay the London congestion charge. Register your car(s) on the TFL website. £10 one-off payment last as long as your blue badge.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback