IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Count Court Defence - draft

Options
2»

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    (I can't get a statement of witness in time from the guy I rented the parking from)
    Yes you can, because Witness Statement(s) stage is a couple of months away! Not now.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • RegW
    RegW Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2018 at 6:33AM
    Options
    Hello, I challenged a ticket against Gladstone on the basis of:
    - Lack of proof that I am the driver
    - Lack of specificity of the claim
    - Lack of authority to issue the claim
    - Lack of signage
    - Conflict of interest between Gladstone and the parking company
    The full defence I filed with the County Court can be read here:
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5697634

I just received a statement of witness - so they went to the location, took pictures of the signs, submitted a floor plan etc... a lot of homework to counter my defence. Below the details.
    I welcome any help.

GLADSTONE'S STATEMENT AGAINST MY DEFENCE

1. Defendant not the driver
    The Criminal Case of Elliott v Loake 1983 Crim LR 36 held that the Registered Keeper of a vehicle
    may be presumed to have been the driver unless they sufficiently rebut this presumption. To
    date the Registered Keeper has been invited on numerous occasions to identify the driver, yet
    has failed to do so. The Court is therefore invited to conclude it more likely than not that the
    Registered Keeper (i.e. the Defendant) was the driver.
    In the alternative, if the Court is not able to infer that the Defendant was the driver then the
    Defendant is pursued as the Registered Keeper of the vehicle pursuant to Schedule 4 of the
    Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (!!!8216;the Act!!!8217;) Paragraph 4(1) which states:
    "The creditor has the right to recover any unpaid parking charges from the keeper of the
    vehicle."
    Paragraph 2 of the Act states that; the !!!8220;keeper!!!8221; means the person by whom the vehicle is kept
    at the time the vehicle was parked, which in the case of a registered vehicle is to be presumed,
    unless the contrary is proved, to be the registered keeper.
    The relevant Notice was sent to the Defendant in accordance with the Act and the Registered
    Keeper (the Defendant) failed to nominate who was driving the vehicle prior to these
    proceedings which is required under paragraph 5(2) of the Act.

2. Particulars of Claim
    The Claim is issued via the County Court Business Centre which a procedure specifically provided
    for in the Civil Procedure Rules. This only allows the Claimant to insert brief details of the Claim.
    In any event, my Company can confirm that the Particulars of Claim contained sufficient
    information for the Defendant to be aware of that the claim relates to; namely;-
    i) The date of the charge;
    ii) The vehicle registration number
    iii) The parking charge notice number;
    iv) The amount outstanding;
    v) Thai it relates to parking charges; and
    vi) That it is debt.

Further Paragraph 5.2A of Practice Direction 7E specifically states the requirement in paragraph
    7.3 of Practice Direction 16 for documents to be attached to the particulars of contract claims does
    not apply to claims started using an onlinc claim form, unless the particulars of claim are served.

3. No authority to enforce charges
    As the contract is between my Company and the Defendant, my Company does have the
    authority to enforce parking charges. However, both VCS v HM Revenue & Customs (2013) and
    Parking Eye v Beavis (CA 2015) made it clear that a contracting party need not show they have a right to do what they have promised in the performance of a contract, nor is (in the case of a
    parking operator) the agreement between Operator and Landowner of any relevance. In any
    event, and without concession, the Agreement exhibited to this Witness Statement evidences
    my Company!!!8217;s authorisation to operate / manage the Relevant Land on behalf of the
    Landowner.

Lord Justice Lewison commented in VCS v HM Revenue 8: Customs [2013] EWCA Civ 186;
    (1) "T he Upper Tribunal's reasoning on this part of the case was that since VCS did not have
    the right under its contract with the car park owner to grant a licence to park, it could not
    have contracted with the motorist to grant such a right. in my judgment there is a serious
    flaw in this reasoning.
    (2) The flaw in the reasoning is that it confuses the making of a contract with the power to
    perform it. There is no legal impediment to my contracting to sell you Buckingham Palace.
    if (inevitably) l fail to honour my contract then l can be sued for damages. On the stock
    market it is commonplace for traders to sell short; in other words to sell shares that they
    do not own in the hope of buying them later at a lower price. in order to perform the
    contract the trader will have to acquire the required number of shares after the contract
    of sale is made. Moreover, in some cases a contracting party may not only be able to
    contract to confer rights over property that he does not own, but may also be able to
    perform the contract without acquiring any such right. Thus in Bruton v London and
    Quadrant Housing Trust [2000] 1 AC 406 a housing trust with no interest in land was held
    to have validly granted a tenancy of the land to a residential occupier. The tenancy would
    not have been binding on the landowner, but bound the two contracting parties in
    precisely the same way as it would have done if the grantar had had an interest in the
    land.
    Thus in my judgment the Upper Tribunal were wrong to reverse the decision of the FTT on
    the question whether VCS had the power to enter into a contract. Having the power to
    enter into a contract does not, of course, mean that VCS necessarily did enter into a
    contract with the motorist to permit parking"

4. Did not see the signs
    The photographic evidence of the Defendant!!!8217;s vehicle shows the Defendant is within a clear view
    of one of the many warning signs throughout the Relevant Land and all signage states the terms
    and conditions of parking within the Relevant Land. Upon reading the signage the Defendant
    contractually agreed to pay a parking charge fee if restrictions were breached. It is the driver!!!8217;s
    responsibility to ensure parking is permitted prior to leaving the vehicle unattended within the
    restricted area.
    My Company rejects any argument that the Defendant did not see the sign. It is also evident
    from the site plan that there are sufficient signs. The signage at the site is clearly visible and the
    information on the signage informs the driver of the parking conditions at the location. Signage is
    prominent throughout the parking area. Signage location, size, content and font has been
    audited by the International Parking Community. It is the driver's responsibility, to check for
    signage, check the legality and obtain any authorisation for parking before leaving their vehicle.
    The signage on site is the contractual document.
    What is more, without concession, even in the unlikely event the Defendant didn!!!8217;t see the signs I
    submit they ought to have done so. As Lord Justice Roch observed in the Court of Appeal case of
    Vine v London Borough of Waltham Forrest 2000;
    Once it is established that sufiicient and adequate warning notices were in place, a car
    driver cannot be heard to say that he or she did not see the notice. Were that to be the
    law, it would be too easy for car drivers who trespass with their cars to evade the only
    method land owners have of stopping the unauthorised parking of cars in parking spaces
    or parking areas on their property"

5. Claimant's Solicitors identical to Claimant!!!8217;s Trade Association
    The Defendant!!!8217;s opinion on any alleged conflict of interest with a non-party to this claim is
    irrelevant and therefore not the subject matter of the claim before us. Gladstones Solicitors and
    the International Parking Community used to have the same Directors, however this is no longer
    the case, and in any event they remained separate in its entirety.

6. The Current Debt
    In view of the Defendant not paying the charge within the 28 days allowed they are in breach of
    the contract. Breach of contract entitles the innocent party to damages as of right in addition to
    the parking charge incurred.
    ln view of the Defendant not paying the charge the matter was passed to my Company!!!8217;s legal
    representatives, Gladstones Solicitors Ltd. The debt has, as a result of this referral risen as my
    Company's staff have spent time and material in facilitating the recovery of this debt. This time
    could have been better spent on other elements of my Company!!!8217;s business. My Company
    believes the costs associated with such time spent were incurred naturally as a direct result of
    the Defendant!!!8217;s breach and as such asks that this element of the claim be awarded as a damage.
    The costs claimed are a pre-determined and nominal contribution to the actual losses.
    Alternatively, my Company does have a right to costs pursuant to the sign lie. the contract).
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RegW wrote: »
    Hello, I challenged a ticket against Gladstone on the basis of:
    - Lack of proof that I am the driver
    - Lack of specificity of the claim
    - Lack of authority to issue the claim
    - Lack of signage
    - Conflict of interest between Gladstone and the parking company
    The full defence I filed with the County Court can be read here:
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5697634

I just received a statement of witness - so they went to the location, took pictures of the signs, submitted a floor plan etc... a lot of homework to counter my defence. Below the details.
    I welcome any help.

The Criminal Case of Elliott v Loake 1983 Crim LR 36 held that the Registered Keeper of a vehicle
    may be presumed to have been the driver unless they sufficiently rebut this presumption. To
    date the Registered Keeper has been invited on numerous occasions to identify the driver, yet
    has failed to do so. The Court is therefore invited to conclude it more likely than not that the
    In the alternative, if the Court is not able to infer that the Defendant was the driver then the
    Defendant is pursued as the Registered Keeper of the vehicle pursuant to Schedule 4 of the
    Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (!!!8216;the Act!!!8217;) Paragraph 4(1) which states:
    "The creditor has the right to recover any unpaid parking charges from the keeper of the
    vehicle."
    Paragraph 2 of the Act states that; the !!!8220;keeper!!!8221; means the person by whom the vehicle is kept
    at the time the vehicle was parked, which in the case of a registered vehicle is to be presumed,
    The relevant Notice was sent to the Defendant in accordance with the Act and the Registered
    Keeper (the Defendant) failed to nominate who was driving the vehicle prior to these

2. Particulars of Claim
    The Claim is issued via the County Court Business Centre which a procedure specifically provided
    for in the Civil Procedure Rules. This only allows the Claimant to insert brief details of the Claim.
    In any event, my Company can confirm that the Particulars of Claim contained sufficient
    information for the Defendant to be aware of that the claim relates to; namely;-
    vi) That it is debt.

Further Paragraph 5.2A of Practice Direction 7E specifically states the requirement in paragraph
    7.3 of Practice Direction 16 for documents to be attached to the particulars of contract claims does
    not apply to claims started using an onlinc claim form, unless the particulars of claim are served.

As the contract is between my Company and the Defendant, my Company does have the
    authority to enforce parking charges. However, both VCS v HM Revenue & Customs (2013) and
    Parking Eye v Beavis (CA 2015) made it clear that a contracting party need not show they have a right to do what they have promised in the performance of a contract, nor is (in the case of a
    parking operator) the agreement between Operator and Landowner of any relevance. In any
    event, and without concession, the Agreement exhibited to this Witness Statement evidences
    my Company!!!8217;s authorisation to operate / manage the Relevant Land on behalf of the
    Landowner.

Lord Justice Lewison commented in VCS v HM Revenue 8: Customs [2013] EWCA Civ 186;
    (1) "T he Upper Tribunal's reasoning on this part of the case was that since VCS did not have
    the right under its contract with the car park owner to grant a licence to park, it could not
    have contracted with the motorist to grant such a right. in my judgment there is a serious
    flaw in this reasoning.
    (2) The flaw in the reasoning is that it confuses the making of a contract with the power to
    perform it. There is no legal impediment to my contracting to sell you Buckingham Palace.
    if (inevitably) l fail to honour my contract then l can be sued for damages. On the stock
    market it is commonplace for traders to sell short; in other words to sell shares that they
    do not own in the hope of buying them later at a lower price. in order to perform the
    contract the trader will have to acquire the required number of shares after the contract
    of sale is made. Moreover, in some cases a contracting party may not only be able to
    contract to confer rights over property that he does not own, but may also be able to
    perform the contract without acquiring any such right. Thus in Bruton v London and
    Quadrant Housing Trust [2000] 1 AC 406 a housing trust with no interest in land was held
    to have validly granted a tenancy of the land to a residential occupier. The tenancy would
    not have been binding on the landowner, but bound the two contracting parties in
    precisely the same way as it would have done if the grantar had had an interest in the
    land.
    Thus in my judgment the Upper Tribunal were wrong to reverse the decision of the FTT on
    the question whether VCS had the power to enter into a contract. Having the power to
    enter into a contract does not, of course, mean that VCS necessarily did enter into a

4. Did not see the signs
    The photographic evidence of the Defendant!!!8217;s vehicle shows the Defendant is within a clear view
    of one of the many warning signs throughout the Relevant Land and all signage states the terms
    and conditions of parking within the Relevant Land. Upon reading the signage the Defendant
    contractually agreed to pay a parking charge fee if restrictions were breached. It is the driver!!!8217;s
    responsibility to ensure parking is permitted prior to leaving the vehicle unattended within the
    restricted area.
    My Company rejects any argument that the Defendant did not see the sign. It is also evident
    from the site plan that there are sufficient signs. The signage at the site is clearly visible and the
    information on the signage informs the driver of the parking conditions at the location. Signage is
    prominent throughout the parking area. Signage location, size, content and font has been
    audited by the International Parking Community. It is the driver's responsibility, to check for
    signage, check the legality and obtain any authorisation for parking before leaving their vehicle.
    What is more, without concession, even in the unlikely event the Defendant didn!!!8217;t see the signs I
    submit they ought to have done so. As Lord Justice Roch observed in the Court of Appeal case of
    Once it is established that sufiicient and adequate warning notices were in place, a car
    driver cannot be heard to say that he or she did not see the notice. Were that to be the
    law, it would be too easy for car drivers who trespass with their cars to evade the only
    method land owners have of stopping the unauthorised parking of cars in parking spaces

5. Claimant's Solicitors identical to Claimant!!!8217;s Trade Association
    The Defendant!!!8217;s opinion on any alleged conflict of interest with a non-party to this claim is
    irrelevant and therefore not the subject matter of the claim before us. Gladstones Solicitors and
    the International Parking Community used to have the same Directors, however this is no longer

6. The Current Debt
    In view of the Defendant not paying the charge within the 28 days allowed they are in breach of
    the contract. Breach of contract entitles the innocent party to damages as of right in addition to
    ln view of the Defendant not paying the charge the matter was passed to my Company!!!8217;s legal
    representatives, Gladstones Solicitors Ltd. The debt has, as a result of this referral risen as my
    Company's staff have spent time and material in facilitating the recovery of this debt. This time
    could have been better spent on other elements of my Company!!!8217;s business. My Company
    believes the costs associated with such time spent were incurred naturally as a direct result of
    the Defendant!!!8217;s breach and as such asks that this element of the claim be awarded as a damage.
    The costs claimed are a pre-determined and nominal contribution to the actual losses.
    Alternatively, my Company does have a right to costs pursuant to the sign lie. the contract).

It's the usual Gladstones template, and not written by the 'witness' at all, just a series of boilerplate paras. which we've all seen hundreds of times before, and so have many of the Judges.

Elliott v Loake is a criminal case, and has no relevance to private parking. Most Judges have seen through this, and dismissed it as irrelevant.

The VCS case was about VAT liability, not the validity of parking charges.

It's a document designed to mislead the court.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • catfunt
    catfunt Posts: 624 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your best bet is to repost this in your original thread.

Keep everything regarding one case to one thread, so that those trying to give you the best advice has all the information in one place.
  • RegW
    Options
    With 2 weeks to go before the County Court hearing, I just received a statement of witness from Gladstones in response to my defence above - so they submitted a floor plan etc... a lot of homework to counter my defence. Below the details.
    I welcome any help - can I still file additional witness statements (online?) - or shall I bring additional counter arguments on the day?

Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 ("the Act!" Paragraph 4(1) which states:
    vehicle."
    Paragraph 2 of the Act states that; the "keeper"; means the person by whom the vehicle is kept

2. Particulars of Claim
    vi) That it is debt.

my Company's authorisation to operate / manage the Relevant Land on behalf of the
    Landowner.

flaw in this reasoning.
    land.

4. Did not see the signs
    The photographic evidence of the Defendant's vehicle shows the Defendant is within a clear view
    contractually agreed to pay a parking charge fee if restrictions were breached. It is the driver's
    restricted area.
    What is more, without concession, even in the unlikely event the Defendant didn't see the signs I

5. Claimant's Solicitors identical to Claimant's Trade Association
    The Defendant's opinion on any alleged conflict of interest with a non-party to this claim is

6. The Current Debt
    ln view of the Defendant not paying the charge the matter was passed to my Company's legal
    could have been better spent on other elements of my Company's business. My Company
    the Defendant's breach and as such asks that this element of the claim be awarded as a damage.
  • RegW
    Options
    You're right - best to have it all in one long thread - so I posted their witness statement on my first one.
    BTW - I presume I too can still file a last statement of witness (online?)?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please ask a Board Guide (find them at the bottom r/h corner of the forum thread list page, one back from this one) to merge both your existing threads to avoid confusion or duplication of effort by those trying to help.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Threads have been merged :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just reminding you about this advice, back six moths ago:
    OK, so he will hopefully sign & date a Witness Statement, to help you at your WS stage? So you will have two WS at that time, and the evidence of his right to the space (his lease/agreement or whatever he has that shows it's his right to use it).
    As you haven't been back since September and have now re-appeared just before the hearing (not coached by us in between) tell us when you filed the above two Witness Statments and what you filed in evidence this month, in order to comply with the Court letter that gave you the court date?

Don;t tell us the letter with the Court date didn't say anything about WS. It did.

Show us your WS and list the evidence you filed.

If you didn't, yet, you'd better get your finger out!

Show us your draft WS and tell us what evidence you will be filing with the Court and Gladstones on Monday, urgently to comply with the Court Directions, along with that second WS.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure