Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I do, thanks. They're all the same.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    So it might (you'll need to news hunt) be a software issue that can be easily(?) resolved.
    The software issue in the 40kWh Leaf is deliberate by Nissan to protect the battery pack. Because there is no heat management system the charge flow is restricted when the pack is hot. It has been found that 39C is the trigger temperature. One chap in Germany cruised on the autobahn and found the charge restricted on the first charge when the outside temperature was 25C. The 40KWH Leaf starts cutting back on charge when it hits 60% whatever the battery temperature, where the 30kWh version got to 80%.

Nissan obviously thought that people would not want to do more than one rapid charge on a journey of say 200 miles. Completely wrong as other people (me) bought the car to cruise around Europe doing about 120 miles and having a comfort break/charge covering 500 miles or more over a long day's travelling. The 40kWh Renault can do this, why not the Nissan? When I looked at the car to buy, the blurb just stated 40 minutes from 20% to 80% which I found acceptable. They've now changed it to 40-60 minutes but even that's wrong when the battery gets warmed up.

The car itself is great. The fact that Nissan failed to let prospective buyers know about the consecutive rapid charging restrictions is unforgivable. I would have waited for the 60kWh version with battery management if I had been told about #rapidgate
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Please don't continue to blatantly, deliberately and dishonestly misrepresent what I've said very clearly multiple times.

Oh good, you are in a mood to be clear, so can I please ask you to finally answer the question I've asked:
    Anyways, back to you supplying proof of the grand statements that you've made, and for which I've asked many times now:-

1. Proof that the Tesla semi's at the launch event where not mules, just stage-locked vehicles barely capable of moving themselves.

2. Proof that the trucks now being load tested by Tesla are new mules, as you stated, knocked together after the launch.

3. Proof that most UK loads are near to max weight, or shall we say, within 2t of max.

I'm assuming this information is at your finger tips, after all, Shirley you wouldn't make those 'statements of fact' falsely?

BTW, have you heard the news that Tesla still have over 400,000 paid deposits for the Model 3 - I'm surprised you've let that go, since you disapprove so strongly about manufacturers having waiting lists (aka being popular).
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    I do, thanks. They're all the same.

So how come the M3 with 2170's has lower vampire drain than the S & X and can be charged at a faster rate if their batt technology is nothing new/different?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    The car itself is great. The fact that Nissan failed to let prospective buyers know about the consecutive rapid charging restrictions is unforgivable. I would have waited for the 60kWh version with battery management if I had been told about #rapidgate

Just blow on em, jeez, do I have to think of everything! ;)

• gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    So how come the M3 with 2170's has lower vampire drain than the S & X and can be charged at a faster rate if their batt technology is nothing new/different?

Don't you know anything, Leaf/i3/Tesla/iPace/Zoe they are all using the same battery, all this discussion is about different charging rates, cooling etc is all just us EV fanboys making up stuff to discuss. EVs are all rubbish its as simple as that :rotfl:.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 July 2018 at 11:32PM
    Options
    Please don't continue to blatantly, deliberately and dishonestly misrepresent what I've said very clearly multiple times.

Finally, but not quite. The rolling week ending yesterday was indeed the first to hit 5,000 cars, but they're working seven days, so just over 700 cars/day. They're about a month or so behind even last November's target for this mark - and last week's production is north of 10% of all Model 3s built so far.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

Mmm. But Ford were "inventing" (it was already the thick end of a millennium old, even in vehicle manufacture) the moving assembly line to do so, at a time when global annual automobile production was barely over 1% of today's 70m, and the Model T formed half of the total number of cars ever built.

And, if we're drawing parallels, let's not forget that Ford's inability to deliver the Model T's replacement nearly bankrupted them a decade later.
    Hi

:rotfl: .... so the automotive industry was 1000 years (a millennium!) when Ford released the Model T and they invented manufacturing production lines and the auto-mobile ? ... :rotfl:

What your failing to understand (deliberately?) is that the parallels between Ford & Tesla are very strong .... Ford entered the industry with a unit price which would compete and cover investment whilst selling to what at the time was a 'premium' product, then used the introduction of assembly line manufacturing processes and single-site manufacturing & assembly (been to the plant!) to drive economies of scale and reduce prices to create a mass market that effectively killed of the competing 'horse drawn' sector - at the end of the production run, model T's were selling at less than 1/4 (inflation adjusted) of what they were when launched. Other automotive manufacturers at the time were forced to respond and copy Henry Ford's manufacturing, supply & pricing models in order to survive .... anything clicked yet!? ...

Tesla are effectively doing for the low volume EV sector exactly what Ford did for the low volume ICE sector a century ago ... they've started with low volume in smaller plant then addressed the technology & the manufacturing process, invested in large integrated plant and used the approach to drive unit prices to where they're competing with the previous personal transport sector market leader, the main differences effectively involving 100 years, batteries, petroleum & hay ...

Oh, and for the record ... there was no misrepresentation, if you can't see the blatant anti-EV hypocrisy in the positions you tend to take, at least almost everyone else that's ever read this thread can ... and please don't try to hide behind pedantry to cover-up past positions .... to ensure the manufacturing supply contracts, tooling & schedules can cope at enquiry stage, just think along the lines of DPV ... I wonder which automotive companies still use that old planning measure? ... :whistle:;) ... so a DPV of 1000 means how many per week or/and year (remember working days!)? .... of course, any mfg company reacting to initial production or supply issues utilises spare plant capacity by operating at weekends, even the highly efficient plant at Sunderland, so there's nothing new ... Tesla said they'd be building 1000/day(5000/week) by the end of the quarter and it looks like they're doing it despite the negative positions & protestations of those who are resistant to change.

Anyway, thank you for your interest in the subject & do keep up the good work, it often allows me to have a good long :rotfl:!

Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • AdrianC
    Options
    gzoom wrote: »
    Don't you know anything, Leaf/i3/Tesla/iPace/Zoe they are all using the same battery, all this discussion is about different charging rates, cooling etc is all just us EV fanboys making up stuff to discuss.
    I'm sorry. I assumed you knew the difference between a cell and a battery.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    :rotfl: .... so the automotive industry was 1000 years (a millennium!) when Ford released the Model T and they invented manufacturing production lines and the auto-mobile ? ... :rotfl:
    Clue: Not all vehicles are cars.

The Venetians were building ships by moving them from stage to stage, with each stage having a defined role, from at least the start of the 12th century. The Chinese had similar ideas at a similar time, too.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Clue: Not all vehicles are cars.

The Venetians were building ships by moving them from stage to stage, with each stage having a defined role, from at least the start of the 12th century. The Chinese had similar ideas at a similar time, too.

So all cell/batt chemistry is the same.
    Model T's were Venetian ships.
    And as for Tesla Semi's ...... well, we may never know the truth ......

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback