PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• Nonnadiluca
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting a dresser for my kitchen to replace the sideboard as it would give us more storage but, thanks to this thread making me think about simplifying, I have decided instead to get rid of some stuff I seldom or never use. Hey Presto, enough storage! That's saved a few quid ☺
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    Has anyone else heard the ad for 'Autumn/winter collection' sofas? Are we supposed to believe that we need a new sofa every season? !!!!!!??
    I hereby vow to switch off the radio and TV when adverts are on. I can't cope with the craziness!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I could never get rid of all my books...some of them are very old and very dear friends!
    I so agree with this! :T Plus a lot of our books are reference books. ;)
    jackyann wrote: »
    I have been known to change my clothes 3 or 4 times a day,
    Oh my; if I did that, I'd have no energy for anything else; even with Mr LW's assistance, getting dressed/undressed is time consuming and difficult for me.:D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • SimpleLiving
    Options
    Thank you MandM90 for the unroll link, I've always gone through my emails and unsubscribed manually which takes forever!!

I'm in agreement with this thread and would love to follow and join in too if you don't mind SimpleLiving?

I have made some steps towards simplifying my life already the last couple of weeks. I've cancelled Netflix (intending to read more - with books from the library which I've also recently rejoined).

For my birthday I received a little shelf greenhouse for my birthday which I plan to grow herbs and spices in and a hand blender with the intention of doing more soups etc. (instead of buying lunch from the expensive hospital shops at work). Takeaways and convenience food is something we really waste a lot of money on through a total lack of meal planning.

Me and my partner are hoping to start a family next year so if we can save a bit of money, simplify and get more of a routine in place now then it'll certainly help :)
    Please do join in....:T:T
  • SimpleLiving
    SimpleLiving Posts: 55 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2017 at 7:19PM
    Options
    Has anyone else heard the ad for 'Autumn/winter collection' sofas? Are we supposed to believe that we need a new sofa every season? !!!!!!??
    I hereby vow to switch off the radio and TV when adverts are on. I can't cope with the craziness!
    Crazy isn't it! I don't understand the need for Christmas cushions, bedding, clothes, doormat, kitchenware etc etc either....but then again I may be a grumpy scrooge:D
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think many of us are children from an earlier era before all this seasonal promotional stuff existed and realised that our lives managed perfectly well without it.

I find it quite shocking actually how gullible many members of the public are to advertising. Do they not realise it's just an attempt to rob them of their money? I bet if some of the prices of items on Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotional adverts were doubled and advertised as "bargains for today only ", there would still be a stampede by the naïve.
  • SimpleLiving
    Options
    I have been watching Tales from the Green Valley, Victorian Farm and Wartime Kitchen and Garden for more inspiration on how to make the most if what we have. Every little thing was put to good use and there was little waste. We have about a half a bin bag of waste each week, mostly food packaging and I would like to cut this down further. Cooking from scratch will help.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    We moved onto our Narrowboat this year, we got rid of everything that didn't fit on it.
    All our books are ebooks apart from a dozen that fit on the bookshelf.
    I'm retired but my oh is still working so he has his works uniform plus his own clothes. All my clothes fit in two small drawers and a hook on the wall.
    We have a tv but it only goes on at 8 in the evening for an hour and if there is nothing on worth watching it goes off again.
    I always cook from scratch aboard from chips, I don't like them but keep a bag in the freezer.
    I have a very small hob and cooker and cook a lot on my multi fuel stove.
    We have no phone line so no cold callers and no postal address so no junk mail.
    My fridge and freezer are also very small.
    We thoroughly enjoy life on the boat but it's not for everyone
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Actually we've all become victims of the great consumerism conspiracy to a greater or lesser extent. I recall how few possessions and pieces of furniture we had when we first married yet we managed perfectly well.
    The great question today we all need to ask ourselves is "HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?"

I suspect if we were really honest, most of us would look around our homes, our cupboards, wardrobes and garages and admit that we have TOO MUCH. I think the older we become, apart from items which simplify our lives and make them easier, we should be GETTING RID, not acquiring more stuff!
  • SimpleLiving
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Actually we've all become victims of the great consumerism conspiracy to a greater or lesser extent. I recall how few possessions and pieces of furniture we had when we first married yet we managed perfectly well.
    The great question today we all need to ask ourselves is "HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?"

I suspect if we were really honest, most of us would look around our homes, our cupboards, wardrobes and garages and admit that we have TOO MUCH. I think the older we become, apart from items which simplify our lives and make them easier, we should be GETTING RID, not acquiring more stuff!
    Absolutely agree 100%. I got rid of a load of sheets a few weeks ago that were taking up loads of drawer space, so now we have 2 sets of sheets for each bed. Who needs 6 sets of bedding albeit cheap tesco ones?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure